Information about Covid19:
Please read our information on how we are supporting residents and businesses, as well as information on affected services.

Am I eligible for a blue badge?

You do not have to be a driver or a car owner to apply for or have a blue badge. The badge is issued to you and can be used in any vehicle you travel in. However you must not allow someone else to use the badge on your behalf, it can only be used when you are using the vehicle.

You will only get a blue badge if you are able to show that you have an enduring and substantial disability which causes you during the course of a journey to:

  • Be unable to walk;
  • Have considerable difficulty whilst walking, which may include very considerable psychological distress; or
  • Be at risk of serious harm when walking; or pose, when walking, a risk of serious harm to any other person

You will be automatically eligible for a blue badge if you are over two years old and meet at least one of the following criteria. Further details about these conditions can be found on the GOV.UK website.

  • Receives the Higher Rate of Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Receives a Personal Independence payment (PIP) for being unable to walk further than 50 meters (a score of 8 points or more under the ‘moving around’ activity of the mobility component)
  • Receives the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and has obtained 10 points specifically for Descriptor E under the “planning and following journeys” activity, on the grounds that they are unable to undertake any journey because it would cause them overwhelming psychological distress
  • Is registered Blind (severely sight impaired)
  • Receives a War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement
  • Has received a lump sum benefit within tariff levels 1-8 of the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation) Scheme and has been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking

You may also be entitled to a blue badge if you are able to show that you have a permanent and substantial disability which means you are either unable to walk, or have considerable difficulty with walking.

What if I have a blue badge from another area?

If you move to Cornwall from another area, you can continue to use your old badge and apply for a new one from Cornwall Council when it expires.  You should tell the council that issued your old badge about your change of address.