Out of hours social work support for children and young people

The Out of Hours Social Work Support Service is for children, young people and families who are in immediate need.

Who is it for?

Continue reading

The Out of Hours Service is for

  • Children, young people or families experiencing immediate difficulties; or
  • People who have an immediate concern for the safety of a child/young person

If you wish to contact the Cornwall Council’s Children’s Social Work Out of Hours Service, please telephone 01208 251300

Anyone telephoning the Out of Hours Service will be asked for their telephone number, location and which specialist Out of Hours Service they think they need.  The Operator will then contact the appropriate specialist service for the area.

Emergency needs relating to Children’s Social Work will be assessed in partnership with other agencies, where appropriate, and information will be shared for the safety of children and young people.

The Out of Hours Service does not deal with routine requests.

Non-urgent requests should always be referred to the appropriate local Children’s Social Work office during normal hours, telephone: 0300 1234 101.

You can also request help via the web page on Children and Family Care and select the ‘on-line referral form’.  This will go to the day time services.

The Team often work on a multi-agency basis alongside colleagues in the Police and the Health Authority to maintain and assess the needs of children and young people.   

If there is an immediate issue of safety then the Police should be called.

The Out of Hours Service is available:

  • Weekdays from 5.15pm each evening (4.45pm Fridays) until 8.45am the following morning
  • Weekends from 4.45pm on Friday until 8.45am the following Monday
  • All public holidays

Children's Social Care (Social Work Service)

Children's Social Care emergencies are dealt with by a Children’s Social Worker and their Manager.

Adult Care and Support

Please refer to the “Help outside normal working hours” leaflet produced by  Adult Care and Support.

Cornwall’s Social Work is committed to good quality case recording. Information is stored on an electronic case recording system for social care records in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.  

The Children, Families and Adults Directorate welcome comments, compliments and complaints.  Please contact the Complaints Manager.