Information about Covid19:
Please read our information on how we are supporting residents and businesses, as well as information on affected services.

Children placed in Cornwall by other Local Authorities

On this page you will find services which are available to children and young people in care, who may be placed in Cornwall by other local authorities, including children placed for adoption.

It also includes the process to notify us when a child in care is placed in Cornwall or when their placement changes or ends.

Continue reading

Please share the information with all relevant professionals within your Local Authority so they are aware of the requirement to notify us and what services are available.

Cornwall is located to the South West of England and borders Devon and Plymouth. The Council of the Isles of Scilly is a separate authority and children’s social care can be contacted on 01720 424354 (Out of hours 01720 422699). The authority does receive support from Cornwall Council for some of its health and social care functions.

In line with the 2014 amendments to the Care Planning, Placement and Case Review (England) Regulations 2010, if you are planning on placing a child or young person within the boundaries of Cornwall you should consult with us. Please direct this consultation and the up to date care plan for the child to:

If you are unsure if a placement is based within the boundary of Cornwall please use the tool on the website.

A copy of the care plan should be made available within 5 working days of the commencement of the placement.

For child protection enquiries contact our Multi Agency Referral Unit on: 0300 1231 116. Out of hours telephone: 01208 251300.

For allegations made against those who work with children the referral should also be made to the MARU in line with Working Together (2018) but advice and guidance can be sought in the first instance from the LADO Service on: (01872 326536). 

For allegations relating to the abuse of vulnerable adults (18 and over) please call 0300 1234 131 or the Adult Safeguarding Team on 01872 326433.

If you have a concern that the child or young person you are placing in Cornwall has been trafficked or is a victim of exploitation please contact the MARU or Out of Hours Service (see above for details) as well as Devon & Cornwall Police at

All children in care living in Cornwall must be registered with a local GPdentist and optician. They will have access to universal services, including Health Visiting and School Nursing (if attending a local school).

Children in care will require Statutory Health Assessments and these are co-ordinated by the Specialist Children in Care Nursing Team for Cornwall. Initial Health Assessments are carried out by paediatricians and Review Health Assessments by the most appropriate Health Professional who in most cases will be a Specialist Children in Care Nurse.  To access the team please email or telephone 01872 254523 / 01872 254590. The named Nurse and Designated Doctor for LAC can also be contacted via this number.

The Designated Nurse for LAC may be contacted via Kernow Clincal Commissioning Group (KCCG) on 01726 627800.

All requests for Health Assessments should be emailed to Please do not send any requests for Health Assessments direct to individual practitioners.

If, on completion of a health assessment, there is a need to refer the child to another service for further assessment or support the placing authority will be informed.

Cornwall provides a range of health and other services to support children with additional needs. How to access or refer to the service required can be found on the Local Offer website

Cornwall CAMHS services are provided by Cornwall Partnership Trust. They can be contacted via or the Early Help Hub.

Cornwall’s Virtual School, monitors and supports Cornwall’s children in care and children placed in Cornwall from age 3-18. This now includes all previously looked after children (PLAC) as per the Children & Social Care Act 2017 and DFE guidance September 2018. The Virtual School promotes the educational achievement of children in care and PLAC through advice, guidance, direct support and challenge to schools and other services regardless of where they are placed.

All of Cornwall’s schools, academies and colleges are part of our learning community and work in partnership with us to enable each child in care to access and attain the best possible outcomes.  All of Cornwall’s educational settings have a Designated Teacher for Children in Care and Previously looked after Children to promote their educational achievement and to be an advocate for this vulnerable group.

Children in care should not be placed in another authority without educational provision in place.

All applications for primary and secondary school places (including mid-year applications) should go through Cornwall’s school admissions team.

For application forms, information and the specific Protocol for school placement of children in care in Cornwall please see the School Admissions web pages.

A child is defined as having Special Educational Needs (SEN) if he or she has a learning difficulty which requires special educational provision to be made. This can be either in a mainstream or special school.  Each school is required to publish the services and resources available for pupils with special educational needs or disabilities, this is the School Information Report published on websites and linked through Cornwall’s Local Offer.

When a child in care has an Education and Health Care Plan admissions are arranged through the Statutory SEN Service that works in conjunction with the Virtual School for Children in Care.

Every Local Authority is required to publish information about services that are available for children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities and their families. 

Cornwall has an integrated Early Help Hub which is the single point of access for professionals, families and young people to access Early Help Services in Cornwall.

Early Years provision in Cornwall is provided through a mixed market of maintained nursery schools and classes as well as private, voluntary and independent sector providers, including childminders. Information, advice and guidance about Early Years providers can be found via the Family Information Service.

Eligibility for early education places for children in care is implemented according to the Early Education and childcare statutory guidance for Local Authorities.

Our Family Information Service (FIS) provides free up to date and impartial advice and guidance on the full range of Ofsted registered childcare and early years education in Cornwall. The FIS can also be contacted at or by telephone on 0800 587 8191

Family Hubs offer a range of support services to children, young people and their families aged -9 months to 25 years. These are delivered through multi-agency partnerships including Cornwall Council Early Help services, children’s community based health services, Voluntary and Community Sector, Education and Early Years.

The principle aim of the Youth Offending Service (YOS) is to reduce the likelihood of re-offending and the harm caused by offending to specific victims and communities in general with an aim to bring about change that will also improve the life chances of individual children and young people. The principles underpinning the work of Cornwall and Isles of Scilly YOS starts with the belief that children are children first, capable of change and that our role as professionals is to facilitate this by building meaningful relationships with the children and young people who use our service in order to inspire, motivate and empower them to make positive changes and achieve positive outcomes.

We are committed to working with our partner agencies to avoid children becoming looked after wherever possible and to providing robust timely intervention programmes to prevent young people coming into custody/youth detention - unless in exceptional circumstances when the risk to the public/specific victims is too great. We have agreed standards for information exchange at the point of young people who are Children in Care to the Local Authority becoming known to the Youth Offending Service and work closely in partnership with Independent Reviewing Officers.

Our commitment to the positive engagement of children and young people and those important in their networks can be seen as a common thread running through all our Policies and Process.

Cornwall YOS can be contacted on 01872 326782 or at

The V4US Children in Care Council provide a range of activities and opportunities for children and young people in care across the county.  It is run by Carefree who can be contacted on 01209 204333 or via V4US meet regularly to explore how they can support the development of services and organise activities for the wider community of children and young people in care.

Barnardo’s provides the independent advocacy service for Cornwall Children in Care.  They can be contacted on 01752 875934 for advice on obtaining advocacy for children and young people from other local authorities.

Support, activities and mentoring for children in care and care leavers is provided by Carefree who can be contacted on 01209 204333.

Cornwall Council commissions, through our partners in the voluntary community sector, universal youth support services.

The Virtual school post 16 lead liaises closely with the 16+ team to support transition to Key Stage 5.

We hope that the time your child or young person spends in Cornwall will be positive and if we can provide any advice or support please do not hesitate to contact the appropriate service.