Access to birth records

Adopted people aged 18 or over can apply for access to and a copy of their birth certificate. This can be from either

  • the Registrar General
  • or the Adoption Agency

You need to be 18 or over to do this.

Adoption before 12 November 1975

If you were adopted before 12 November 1975 you will need to apply for your records through the General Register Office. 

If you live outside Cornwall

If you were adopted in Cornwall but now live elsewhere you will need to contact your local adoption agency.  You can find who this is from your local council.

If you live in Cornwall

If you live in Cornwall, please complete the form below:

Birth record enquiry form

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service