Family Information Service
The Family Information Service (FIS) supports families across Cornwall by offering free and impartial information and advice.
As a central point of contact for parents/carers and the professionals supporting them, the team can offer guidance on a range of matters including parenting, behaviour, education, activities and family support services.
FIS can also assist with all your childcare enquiries, as it’s the official source of all Ofsted registered providers available in the county. Advice on funding options to help pay for this care is also available.
The service exists to help families with children and young people aged 0 – 19, or 25 if the young person has a special educational need or disability (SEND).
So call, email or visit the FIS website for information.
Examples of the types of queries we can help with
- Who gives advice on parenting and where can I find groups and classes?
- What can we do as a family?
- Problems completing a school application form
- I want to become a childminder, what do I do next?
- What support services are available to help my child with…?
- My child has an additional need, I need help with…
- Children’s centre details
- My family needs a support worker
- I need to find childcare
- What funding is available to help pay for childcare?
- Am I eligible for two year old funding?
- Where can I use my two, three and four year old funding?
- What should I ask when choosing childcare?
You can find information on childcare on the FIS website,which has details on:
- Day nurseries
- Pre-school playgroups
- School nursery units / classes
- Breakfast clubs / after school clubs
- Holiday schemes
If you are having difficulty in finding childcare, we can offer you a brokerage service, during which we will work hard to try and find a childcare provider that meets your requirements.
The Family Information Service website
Information on leisure, health, education, parenting and much more can be found on the FIS website, including:
- Children’s centre what’s on guides
- Parenting programmes
- Early Help Family Worker service request
- Common Assessment Framework (CAF) service request
- Details on funding for childcare
The FIS website is also host to the Local Offer. The Local Offer aims to help families of children and young people with SEND, by gathering useful information they need to know, in one place, so they can make informed choices about the support they receive.
So if your child has SEND and you are not sure where to go for help, just look on the website for the ‘LO’ symbol or give the team a call.
Available Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm. An answerphone is provided at all other times.