Home Page Council News Room Site Map Ask a question Website - information and help Listening and Learning: Compliments, comments and complaints Access Keys

Carers for adults

Carers provide regular and substantial unpaid help to someone who cannot manage without their support. You don’t have to live in the same house or be related to the person you look after to be a carer.

The person you care for may be:


Cornwall Carers Service provides free help, advice and support and is the main point of contact for carers in Cornwall. Ring Cornwall Carers Service on 01872 266383 to find out about the advice and support available.

If you’re a carer, you also have a right to a carer’s assessment.  This looks at the support you need to look after someone else.

This can include:

  • help to have a break from caring
  • counselling
  • help with other responsibilities such as childcare
  • emotional support
  • paid care workers to help with bathing and dressing the person you care for
  • equipment, meals or adaptations to the home for the person you care for

You can find out more about the help that’s available in our Services for adult carers leaflet. Details of help for young carers are on our young carers page.

There’s also a carer emergency card scheme to provide you with peace of mind if an unplanned emergency stops you getting to the person you care for.

You can find other local groups that can help carers with things like short breaks, respite care and specialist support in our Community Directory.

Your carer’s assessment will show whether you are entitled to a personal budget to help meet your needs as a carer.
You can also find out about benefits available to carers on the Carers UK website.

The Citizens Advice Bureau can help you apply for benefits.

If you’re a carer:

  • You have a right to an assessment of your own needs.
  • We will help and support you with your caring, and provide you with the opportunity to meet other carers, if you want.
  • You can choose if you want to carry on being a carer, and how much you want to do.
  • You have just as much right to our help as the person you are caring for.
  • We will try to help you in the way that you ask, and be flexible to fit in with your needs.
  • We will look after the person you care for to let you have a break, if you want.
  • We will work in partnership with any other service offering support to carers.
  • We will listen to carers' views when we plan our services.

You can find out more about Cornwall Carers Service

Sometimes called Lifeline or button alarm, Alfi (Assisted Living for Independence) is a service of the Council based in Cornwall with 24/7 monitoring from a local Cornwall based monitoring centre.  You must have at least one emergency responder in order to use the service.    Further information can be found on the Alfi web page.


0300 1234 131