Information about Covid19:
Please read our information on how we are supporting residents and businesses, as well as information on affected services.

How we handle your information

Please be aware that the Council has published a separate privacy notice detailing how we are processing personal data for the COVI19 response.

How we use your personal information to provide adult social care services

Continue reading


Cornwall Council provides social work services through its Adult Social Services Directorate and in partnership with health organisations. The Council needs to collect information about you in order to provide these services, and depending on the service, information about your family and other people associated with your case.  The Council retains case histories in line with retention schedules, or as long as we are legally required to.

The Council needs to use this personal, and often sensitive, information to help make the right decisions about the type of service you need, and to check whether the services are helping you as they should. The Council will always comply with the Data Protection Act 2018.

The Council provides services in partnership with other agencies and providers on your behalf. Social care and health care workers in Cornwall often work together in teams providing care to people living in the community. Sometimes some of the information held by social care staff needs to be shared with staff working in other Council departments and staff employed by the NHS, or other partner organisations. This is to ensure you receive proper care, support and treatment. Sharing this information also helps avoid you being asked for the same information more than once.

Questions you might ask…

Why do you need information about me?

  • To allow us to undertake accurate assessments and reviews of your social care needs.
  • To ensure you receive services best suited to your needs and circumstances.
  • To help us monitor and improve services.

Why do you need information about other people in relation to my case?

  • To allow us to most effectively assist the people who are providing you with care and support.
  • If you are vulnerable or at risk, to allow us to protect you better.

To whom will you give this information? 

  • We will normally only share information about you, or other people related to your situation, with people involved in providing your care and support, or if we are concerned for your safety. Sometimes, we need to share information if there is a risk of harm to others, including children.

Will my information ever be shared without my knowledge?

In the following circumstances, the law allows information to be shared without your knowledge:

  • to aid in the prevention and/or the detection of crime.
  • if your behaviour constitutes a serious risk of harm to yourself.
  • if your behaviour constitutes a serious risk of harm to others, including any children to whom you may have access.

Can I find out what information you have about me?

  • Yes, you can. The Data Protection Act 2018 allows you or a representative nominated by you, to make a request for all copies of the personal information we have about you.

If there is an adult with a power of attorney registered by a Court, they can make a request on your behalf.

Whenever your consent to share your information is required, we will always ask you.

How do I get access to information held about me?

Requests for access to information must be made in writing and can either be passed to your social worker or sent directly to the Council’s Data Protection Officer at the postal or email addresses below. You can ask your social worker or another member of Council staff to help you make a request for access.

Need more help?

For more information and advice on how the Council uses your personal information, please contact the Data Protection Officer at:

Your Personal information - how Adult Social Care use it to provide social care services leaflet

Your Personal information - how Adult Social Care use it to provide social care services Easy Read leaflet

Ann Smith, Head of Adult Care and Support, Practice Quality Assurance and Safeguarding, is the Caldicott Guardian for Cornwall Council.

There are four key areas of responsibility for the Caldicott Guardian:

  1. Strategy and governance
  2. Confidentiality and data protection expertise
  3. Internal information processing
  4. Information sharing

The Caldicott Guardian plays a key role in ensuring that the Council and partner organisations satisfy the highest standards for handling personal information. Acting as the 'conscience' of an organisation, the Guardian actively supports work to facilitate and enable information sharing, seeking advice on options for lawful and ethical processing of information as required. Legal and ethical decisions need to be made to ensure appropriate information sharing.

These responsibilities may still lie within the local authority, in a contractual or arms-length arrangement.

You can contact Ann for further information or if you have plans or issues around the matters outlined above, at

Useful links