Paying for adult social care

Please read our information on how we are supporting residents and businesses, as well as information on affected services.

Paying for Adult Social Care and Support during Covid-19 emergency

During the Covid-19 emergency, Adult Social Care will continue with assessments for financial help as part of its normal business arrangements. The assessments will be by telephone. 

Funding arrangements from 19/03/2020 to 31/08/2020

During the Covid-19 emergency period (19/03/2020 - 31/08/2020) the Government said they would fund the cost of new or extended out of hospital health and social care support packages for people discharged from hospital or who would otherwise be admitted into it for a limited time. 

Who did this apply to?

  • Any person referred for a new package or an extension of an existing package
  • Where a person is being discharged from hospital
  • Or is avoiding hospital admission

For what period? 

  • From 19 March 2020 until either 31 August 2020, or the date the person has a new needs assessment, whichever is the later.

What about my financial assessment? 

On receipt of the referral for care and support, we will contact you by telephone to undertake a financial assessment. This will be so we can tell you how much you may have to pay when the emergency is over. You will be charged for your care services either from 1 September 2020, or the date of your needs assessment if this is later. You can apply for financial assistance to help with the cost of your care services.

Funding arrangements from 01/09/2020 onwards

From 1 September 2020, the Government will fund the cost of new or extended out of hospital health and social care support packages for people discharged from hospital or who would otherwise be admitted into it for a limited time for a period of up to six weeks to enable the needs assessment to take place.  This is Scheme 2 funding.  In these cases, you will be charged for these services either from the date of the needs assessment or after six weeks, if this is later. You can apply for financial assistance to help with the cost of your care services.

In some cases, if you are avoiding hospital admission and we need to put a new or increased package of care in place urgently, you may be entitled to receive this funding. This will be while we make arrangements for your continued support, normally around 2 days.

Paying for Adult Social Care

If your needs assessment shows that you have eligible social care needs, we’ll work out a personal budget for the support you need.

We will carry out a financial assessment in line with government guidelines to see if you need to pay something towards your care and support. The amount you pay will depend on your capital, assets, income, savings and benefits. 

You can find out more in:

What’s a financial assessment?

A financial assessment looks at the money you have coming in and going out to see whether you need to pay something towards your care.

We’ll ask you to tell us about your income, savings and assets. We will also ask you about the money you spend on rent, mortgage and council tax, and any money you spend because of your disability or illness.

If you think you would be able to pay for your care yourself, or you don’t want to have a full financial assessment, you can ask for a light touch assessment instead.  You will need to pay the full cost of your care if you do this. You can still ask for a full financial assessment later on.

We’ll let you know if you need to pay towards your care and how much this will be. We’ll send you a copy of the financial assessment and tell you how to pay your contribution.

How to pay your financial contribution

If you receive care at home from an agency, or if you attend a day centre, your service provider will invoice you for your contribution. They will tell you how to pay them. If you receive more than one service, you may receive invoices from one or more of your provider. The amount you have to pay won’t be more than your assessed weekly charge.

If you have a direct cash payment, the payment you receive from us will be reduced by the amount of your assessed contribution. This means that you need to pay your assessed contribution into your direct payment account.

If you move to a care home, you will need to pay any assessed contribution for your placement to the Council.  The safest and most convenient way to do this if via Direct Debit.  See our Paying for Residential Care information leaflet for more details. Or you can contact the Charging Income Team on 01209 614266 or e-mail 

You will need to pay the home for sundry items such as newspapers, chiropody and hairdressing.

Deferred payment agreements

If you need to move into permanent residential care, you may be eligible for a deferred payment agreement. This means that you should not have to sell your home in your lifetime to pay for your care.

A deferred payment agreement is an arrangement with the Council that lets you use the value of your home to pay for your residential care. If you are eligible, you can receive a deferred payment in 2 ways.

  • The Council can pay your care home bills on your behalf to the home, or
  • You can receive a direct loan payment to enable you to pay the home direct.

You can delay repaying us until you choose to sell your home or until after your death – or at an earlier time if you wish. See our Deferred Payment Leaflet for further information

We’ll charge a small amount of interest on the amount owed to us. There will be a fee for setting up this arrangement and some ongoing administrative charges. See our deferred payments policy and deferred fees and charges for details.

Paying for transport to day services

If you need help to get to a service, we’ll discuss this with you. We use our transport policy and eligibility criteria to look at the different ways you might access services. Please also be aware of the cancellation of transport and payment of contributions procedure.


Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service

Give feedback about your experience