Waste with possible Coronavirus infection
Guidance for the disposal of waste for households with possible coronavirus infection; Personal waste (such as used tissues) and disposable cleaning cloths can be stored securely within disposable rubbish bags. These bags should be placed into another bag, tied securely and kept separate from other waste. This should be put aside for at least 72 hours before being put in your usual external household waste bin.Other household waste can be disposed of as normal.
Full waste disposal guidance
Having your rubbish collected
This collection service is for domestic households only. Businesses, including self-catering, holiday let properties, are not eligible to use it and must set up a commercial collection service. This includes if you are renting out your own home as temporary holiday accommodation - you should not use this service for waste generated during those periods. Please see our Commercial Waste page for more information.
All rubbish that is put out for collection must be contained in disposable plastic bags. Collections start from 7.00am. To ensure your rubbish is collected it needs to be placed at your collection point by 7.00am.
The rubbish collection service is only provided for household rubbish which:
- is non-recyclable
- is non-hazardous
- can fit into a standard plastic rubbish sack
It is every householder's responsibility to protect their own rubbish until it is collected.
We collect your bin bags by hand so please don't put in anything that could cause injury. Wrap broken glass securely, label it clearly as glass, and leave it next to your bags. If the collection crews believe that an item is dangerous, they will not collect it.
How can I protect my bags of rubbish from animals and birds?
- You can purchase one of our Reusable/Seagull Proof sacks for £3.50 - please see our list of locations that stock them. These can also be purchased online from other retailers for home delivery.
- You can buy a traditional rubbish bin or a wheeled bin and put your bagged rubbish out for collection in the bin. As bins are emptied by hand we prefer that wheeled bins are no bigger than 140 litres.
- You can cover your rubbish bags with a blanket, towel, carpet or tarpaulin.
Are there items we won't collect?
We can only take normal household waste. We can’t take other waste through the normal household collection round. These include:
- bulky waste
- garden waste
- clinical waste and sharps
Please see below to request these as additional services. Some of these services are chargeable.
Do not place batteries or liquid chemicalsin the rubbish. This includes paint and white spirit / thinners. Please take these to your local household waste and recycling centre.
You have a few options for garden waste. You can:
- compost garden waste at home
- take it to a household waste recycling centre
- use the garden waste collection service.
Clinical waste and sharps
There is a separate service for clinical waste and sharps.
What if I need help getting my rubbish to the collection point?
We have an assisted collection service for residents who are unable to carry their rubbish to their collection point.