Garden waste collections
Temporary closure of the garden waste collection service to new customers from 7 April 2020.
We've seen a significant increase in the number of new subscribers to the garden waste collection service. To manage the requests for bags and bins that we’ve already received, we are temporarily closing the service to new customers with immediate effect.
If you would like to be notified when this page is updated with further announcements about the service, please select the subscribe link above.
If you have already ordered garden waste bins or bags you should receive them within 10 working days from the date of order.
If you already have a garden waste bin or bag but you need to renew your subscription for 2020/21, you cannot do that online. Please call our contact centre on 0300 1234 141.
If you have already paid for this year’s service, your collections will continue as normal.
We are doing our best to keep essential waste services going at this very difficult time. We do understand that people want to get out in their gardens and use their time at home in a constructive and healthy way. Please help us by practicing these tips on reducing your garden waste.
If you were hoping to subscribe to the collection service, please consider home composting or store your garden waste until we can reopen the service to new customers.
Please avoid burning waste, as smoke is not only a nuisance, but emissions may aggravate health conditions.
What can I put in my garden waste?
- Grass cuttings
- Organic sweepings
- Tree, shrub and rose prunings
- Branches (up to 30cm long and 2.5cm diameter, for example, broom handle width)
- Cut flowers
- Cardboard, glass, metal and plastic
- Food waste, including vegetable peelings
- Turf, soil and rubble
- Plant pots
- Animal bedding and faeces
- Invasive species, eg, Japanese knotweed, ragwort, giant hogweed, common ragwort, bamboo
- Compostable bags
- Coffee pods
When will my garden waste be collected?
If you currently have a garden waste subscription you can check when your garden waste collection is on our website. If you have recently subscribed please allow up to 10 working days after paying for your subscription for our contractor to add you to their collection round. Please note that this will only display your collections scheduled within the next fortnight.
What else can I do with my garden waste?
- You can buy a Cornwall Council subsidised composter or Green Johanna. Prices already include the subsidy. For tips on reviving an existing compost bin please read our Get Composting article
- You can take it to one of our Household Waste and Recycling Centres where you can dispose of it for free
Where can I get a water butt?
Water butts and other water saving devices and advice are available through South West Water.
How do I report a missed garden waste collection?
You can report missed collections to us using our online reporting form.