St Austell St Blazey and China Clay Area Regeneration Plan Evidence Base
Much research has been undertaken across the St Austell, St Blazey and China Clay Area which has been used to inform development of the Regeneration Plan and the emerging Cornwall Local Plan. The key pieces of evidence that were produced are set out below. In addition many sources of information are relevant to the Regeneration Plan and planning decisions including Cornwall Council, government and European policies, strategies and funding opportunities.
An appreciation of the Regeneration Plan area can be gained by looking at some collated comprehensive area statistics. Cornwall Council regularly produces updated area based statistics.
A sustainability appraisal assesses the likely environmental and sustainability impacts that will result from the use of the Regeneration Plan. The report should be read alongside:
- Appendix 1 - Health and Wellbeing Screening Assessment
- Appendix 2 - LDF Sustainability Appraisal Objectives and Decision Making Criteria
- Appendix 3 - Consultation Response
- Appendix 4 - Summary Review Policies, Plans, Programmes, Strategies and Initiatives
- Appendix 5 - Sustainability Appraisal of Plan Alternatives
- Appendix 6 - High Level Compatibility Test
- Appendix 7 - Matrix Criterion
Alternatively you can read a non-technical summary of the document.
A habitats regulation assessment allows Cornwall Council to consider the impact of development on conservation sites and landscapes that support specific species. Details of existing conservation sites are shown on an area wide map, and in greater detail for site 1, site 2, site 3, site 4 and site 5.
Background information was prepared which is to the whole project area;
- Biodiversity and Landscape Review Paper;
- Coast Review Paper;
- Community Facilities Review Paper;
- Economic Development Review Paper;
- Flooding Review Paper;
- Historic Environment Review Paper;
- Housing Needs Review Paper;
- Minerals Review Paper;
- People and Demographics Review Paper;
- Retail Review Paper;
- St Austell Policy Background Review Paper;
- St Austell Urban Capacity Paper;
- St Austell Urban Capacity Table.
A boundary map of the project area has been created, and replicates the boundary that was used for the 2008 Strategic Investment Framework, also known as the SIF.
In December 2010, Cornwall Council called for sites that may be able to deliver the type of transformation regeneration that is outlined in the plan. These sites were put into a table, and also displayed on a map.
The Regeneration Plan work also fed into the preparation of the emerging Cornwall Local plan and formed part of the Core Strategy Preferred Approach consultation that took place in January 2012. A summary paper was prepared which explained how the call for sites information together with a cell based assessment of the area was undertaken.
A series of cell appraisals were prepared:
- Collated cell appraisal sites 1 - 11
- Collated cell appraisal sites 12 - 22
- Collated cell appraisal sites 23 - 33
- Collated cell appraisal sites 34 - 45
Area wide constraints maps show other significant considerations.