Information about Covid19:
Please read our information on how we are supporting residents and businesses, as well as information on affected services.

Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)

Please be aware that we are experiencing a significant increase in the volume of general planning enquiries and planning enforcement enquiries. Whilst we are aiming to maintain customer service there may be a delay in dealing with enquiries during this period.  However, we are working hard to keep the planning service operating effectively and have changed most of our working practices accordingly.  We are undertaking site visits on a risk assessed basis where virtual means of assessment are not available.  This is to ensure that we comply with the government guidance on social distancing and to protect our staff and our residents.  We have changed our procedures for Planning Committees, site notices, availability of information by hard copy and office availability.  For more details on our revised processes, please see our FAQs Covid-19 impact on planning processes and bear with us at this difficult time. Thank you for your understanding. 

The Cornwall Community Infrastructure Levy Charging Schedule came into effect on 1 January 2019. This means that any development granted permission after this date may be liable to pay the levy.  

Continue reading

The Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) allows local authorities to raise funds from new building projects undertaken in their area, and is governed by the CIL Regulations 2010 (as amended). CIL is charged as a fixed rate per square metre of new floor space created, and the money raised can be used to help fund a wide range of infrastructure that is needed to support development. 

A development is liable for CIL if it:

  • creates a new dwelling of any size; or
  • creates over 100sqm of gross internal floorspace and
  • involves new buildings into which people normally go.

The CIL Charging Schedule sets out the rates charged on new development in Cornwall when CIL came into effect, and also details the types of development that will not be charged and those that can apply for exemption/relief from paying CIL. From 1 January 2020, indexation will apply to the adopted rates - this is set out in the Annual CIL Rate Summary 2020, which shows the rates that will be applied to permissions granted (or prior approval developments commenced) during the calendar year 2020.

The CIL Discretionary Relief Policy sets out additional relief available in Cornwall, but more information on available exemptions can be found on our Available CIL Reliefs FAQ webpage. The Exemption Relief Guidance sets out how to complete some of the more difficult sections included in the exemption relief claim forms.

CIL Charging Authorities can choose to allow CIL to be paid in instalments.  Cornwall Council's CIL Instalment Policy sets out when payment of CIL would be due depending on the total amount of CIL payable. Please note that a new Instalment Policy came into effect on 1 April 2020, and this will be applied to developments which commence on or after this date

More information about the process can be found on our 'how will CIL affect my development?' webpage.

All the relevant forms can be found on our CIL Forms webpage.

Further to public consultation and Member discussions around suitable criteria and processes for spending and distributing CIL income, it has been agreed that this will be done through a funding application process open to communities and infrastructure providers. Work is currently underway to finalise the governance arrangements for this, and more information will be provided on these CIL webpages as soon as this has been approved. 

More information about CIL is available on the GOV.UK website and on our frequently asked questions page.

In addition to the links on this webpage, printed copies of the CIL Charging Schedule, Instalment Policy and Discretionary Relief Policy are available to view on request, at the following Cornwall Council offices: 

All Cornwall Council Information Services and libraries have details of how to access the documents. They will be able to help you access the documents using their facilities if required.