Householder guidance

Here you will find some useful links to websites and documents specifically for development to dwellings and flats (householder development).

Continue reading

This guide is not intended to dictate or to stifle innovative and contemporary design. It is to be used as guidance outlining general principles and guidelines to follow and facilitate good design for householder developments. (Some illustrations by Richard Guise)

By submitting the Do I need planning consent or building regulations form you will be requesting a check as to the need for planning permission, listed building or conservation area consent and/or building regulations. With regard to planning, this will constitute an informal response as a definitive response can only be obtained through the submission of a lawful development certificate.

The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (Amendment) (England) Order 2013 introduced a number of changes from 30 May 2013 including increases to the size limits for single-storey rear extensions and the associated neighbour consultation scheme.  View our summary of the changes or visit the Planning Portal website for more information. If you are unclear at any point whether your project is allowed, or if you think it is but need a formal confirmation from us, you can apply for a lawful development certificate

For detailed advice on what is required to submit a householder planning application.

This guide is to help applicants and agents to submit a perfect householder application. Within this guide are details of which documents are required to accompany an application, when they are required and what each document is.

Please note that the submission of a planning application in accordance with this guidance does not guarantee that planning permission will be granted. Each application will be determined on its own merits and in accordance with local and national policies and guidance.

By adhering to this guide it is likely that an application will be registered with the minimum of delay, and can be passed to an officer for processing.

An offsite link that provides an interactive tool giving you informal guidance on householder permitted development rights. 

This guide offers information about common household projects. It is being delivered in partnership with the local authority and the Government's Planning. Interactive guidance

Householder validation documents

Please also use these validation documents and checklists when submitting a householder planning or tree application:

Validation checking service

We also provide an optional validation check to help speed you through the registration process, subject to a fee. Details of the service can be accessed via the following link: validation checking service.

Ecology advice for work on eaves and roofs (bats and birds)

The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (as amended) fully protects all species of bat and all wild birds during their breeding season. Bats are also fully protected at EU level by the Habitats Directive 1992, which in the UK, is The Conservation of Habitats and Species Regulations 2010. It is both the householder and their contractor’s responsibility to ensure they are not affecting either during their work. If there is any doubt about whether bats or breeding birds will be affected we would strongly recommend that advice is sought. 

Useful advice and information can be found at: