Privacy Notice - school place applications
Who will control my data?
The Data Controller for all of the information you provide on your school place application form is Cornwall Council, New County Hall, Treyew Road, Truro TR1 3AY. Data Protection Registration Number: Z1745294.
Where can I get help?
If you need help with completing the school place application form please contact the School Admissions Team on 0300 1234 101 or by emailing email@example.com.
For further information or assistance on Data Protection matters please contact the Practice Development and Standards Service on 01872 327617 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Why are you collecting information about me and my child?
All of the information collected on your school place application form allows us to allocate a school place in accordance with the statutory requirements of the School Admissions Code 2014 and local policies. Without this information we will not be able to allocate a school place for your child.
What information is needed?
The questions on the application form are all required to allow us to process your application and to assess your child’s eligibility for a school place when considered against the Council’s and school’s policies for admissions. We will use the information provided on your application form and any supporting information provided by you to assess eligibility. We strongly recommend that you read the information and guidance provided at www.cornwall.gov.uk/admissions or on request from the School Admissions Team to understand what information will be used during the allocation process, in particular the school’s oversubscription criteria.
As part of the school place allocation process we may need to refer to information that Cornwall Council and your child’s current or previous school/s already hold about your child. This information will be used to allow us to carry out the admissions process following the agreed policies and it may be shared with prospective schools as far as necessary to allow them to apply their own policies or to ensure that the appropriate support is in place for your child on admission. Information referred to could include details about behaviour, attendance or safeguarding. The information may also be used to allow us to consider your application under the Fair Access Protocol.
How will you use the data and information I provide?
The information you provide on your school place application form and any supporting papers will be used to:
- process your application;
- allocate school places in accordance with admissions law;
- consider and process admission appeals;
- populate or update our education database and allocation process databases; and
- contact you in relation to your application.
We may also use the information you provide for the following purposes:
- Forward planning as part of budget, forecasting and reorganisation proposals.
- To assist in the development of policy proposals.
- For the prevention and/or detection of crime or fraud.
- To follow up on safeguarding concerns.
- For research and statistical purposes, where data will be anonymised.
How will you contact me?
We will contact you by email if you provide an email address on the application form. At your request or in the event that we cannot contact you by email we will also send a letter to your postal address regarding the outcome of your application. We may also need to contact you by telephone in relation to your application.
Who will you share the data and information with?
The information you provide will be shared with prospective schools during and on completion of the allocation process. Additional information that Cornwall Council and your child’s current or previous school/s already hold about your child may also be shared with prospective schools where this is relevant to the admissions process. All of this information may also be shared as follows:
- In the event that you submit an appeal against a school place refusal, your application form and any supporting information will be shared with Cornwall Council’s Education Appeals department.
- If you are making an application for school places outside Cornwall, we will need to share the information with the relevant other local authority/authorities.
- In order to support the delivery of local and national health initiatives, e.g. health screening and child immunisation programmes, we may share school admissions information with the Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust. This will include the name, date of birth, address and school attended or due to attend of the child who is the subject of the application form. The sharing would be subject to an Information Sharing Agreement.
- Relevant information that you provide on your application form and any supporting information you provide may be used to deal with matters connected with your child’s education, for example school transport and school meals. It may also be used to update any other records which either the Council or schools hold in relation to your child.
How will you store and transfer the data and information?
Your application form and supporting information will be stored securely by the School Admissions Team both electronically and in hard copy. Any data shared outside the Council will be transferred in a secure, electronic format.
How long will you keep this data and information for?
Data and information on and relating to your appeal will be retained until your child reaches the age of 25.
What are my data rights?
Your personal information belongs to you and you have the right to:
- be informed of how we will process it;
- request a copy of what we hold about you and in commonly used electronic format if you wish (if you provided this to us electronically for automated processing, we will return it in the same way);
- have it amended if it is incorrect or incomplete;
- have it deleted (where we do not have a legal requirement to retain it);
- withdraw your consent if you no longer wish us to process;
- restrict how we process it;
- object to us using it for marketing or research purposes;
- object to us using it in relation to a legal task or in the exercise of an official authority;
- request that a person reviews an automated decision where it has had an adverse effect on you.
How do I exercise my rights?
If you would like to access any of the information we hold about you or have concerns regarding the way we have processed your information please contact: Data Protection Officer, Assurance, Cornwall Council, County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY. Telephone: 01872 326424. Email: email@example.com
In the event that you no longer wish us to process the information for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice you may withdraw your consent at any time by giving us written notice. You should understand, however, that we may nevertheless need to continue processing some or all of your personal information in accordance with our statutory obligations.
What if I do not agree with something?
Our complaints team can be contacted via the following address: Quality Assurance Business Manager, Children, Schools and Families, Cornwall Council, County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY or email firstname.lastname@example.org
We would prefer any complaints to be made to us initially so that we have the opportunity to see if we can put things right. However, if you are unhappy with the way we have processed your information or how we have responded to your request to exercise any of your rights in relation to your data, you can raise your concerns direct with the Information Commissioner’s Office Tel No. 0303 123 1113. Website: Information Commissioner’s Office.
By completing and submitting your application you give your consent that all of the data and information you provide may be used for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice.