Changing schools during the school year ('in-year')


Cornwall Council is responsible for coordinating in-year admissions for all state-funded schools in Cornwall, which includes academies.  An ‘in-year application' is made to change schools during the school year - i.e. not at the normal points of entry (starting in reception, transferring from infant school to junior school or transferring to year seven in a secondary school). You might make an application if you are moving into or out of Cornwall or moving within Cornwall.  You might make an application to change schools even if you are not moving house.

Before you apply, please read the guidance which accompanies the application form:  Changing Schools In-year: Guidance


You can apply for a change of school up to eight school weeks in advance of a school place being required (twelve weeks for service families).  Applications will not be processed outside these timescales.

We will generally notify you of the outcome of your application within twenty school days, where possible. 

Ready to apply?

You can apply online to change schools in-year using the link below:

Apply online to change schools in-year

For help completing the application, understanding the process or other aspects of school admissions, or if your first language is not English, please contact the Family Information Service on 0800 587 8191 or email

Special Educational Needs

If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC Plan) or a Statement of Special Educational Needs, you do not need to complete an application form as a school place will be identified through a separate process.  Please contact the SEN Assessment and Provision Team for more information on 01872 324242 or via email:  However, if a request has been made for an EHC needs assessment for your child, or your child is currently being assessed to decide whether an EHC Plan is necessary, you will need to make an application using the normal process. 


Changing schools is a significant step and often difficult to avoid because of a house move.  There are also situations when a parent/carer might decide that they are not happy with their child’s current school and have to make the difficult decision about whether or not to apply for a change.  In this situation, we strongly recommend that you first talk to someone at your child’s current school about your reason/s for considering a change as it might be that any issues could be addressed without having to change schools. 

If you decide to apply for a change of school, you may also wish to consider:

  • Transport: you should be aware that your entitlement to home to school transport might change depending on where you are applying, even if you are not changing your address.  Information on transport can be found on the Home to School Transport pages.
  • Implications for secondary-age students: you should be aware of the possible implications of your child not being able to continue studying the same subjects/option choices and their existing coursework not being applicable to a different examining body.

Admission arrangements

Please see the Admission Arrangements 2017-18 page for information on how places will be allocated.

Privacy Notice

Please visit the Privacy Notice page for information on how your data will be handled.