Transfer to Secondary School September 2019


Is your child currently in year six at a junior or primary school? If so, you will need to apply for a place in year seven at a secondary school for September 2019. The deadline for applications was 31 October 2018.

The National Offer Day for applications received by 31 October 2018 was 1 March 2019. If you have not received details of your allocation please contact us.

For information on notifications of allocations for late applications (those received after 31 October 2018), please see the information further down this page.

What happens if my child is not offered a place at my preferred school? 

If you have not secured a place at one of your preferred schools your letter will give details of why you have been refused and how you can appeal this decision and request to go on a Waiting List.   

You can also visit the Appeals and Waiting Lists pages for more information.

What if I have changed my mind?

If you have submitted your application and now want to change your preferred school(s) you need to put your request in writing to the School Admissions Team. Please note that your changed preference(s) will be processed as a late application. Please see further down this page for more information.

Still need to apply?

All of the information you need to consider when applying and what happens next can be found in our booklet:

View or download the Transfer to Secondary School Booklet

Please read this information before applying for a place. This will ensure you understand how the admissions process works. The booklet includes details of how places will be allocated. You may also find the following links useful:

You can apply online for a school place using the link below.

Please note that the national deadline for applications (31 October 2018) has now passed and if you are applying now the late application process will be followed - please refer to the booklet above for more information.

Please note that this form is only for children starting in Year 7 of a secondary school in September 2019, transferring from primary school

Make a late application for a secondary school place

Late applications

Applications submitted after the deadline of 31 October 2018 will not be processed until after all those submitted by the deadline.

In exceptional circumstances, for example due to medical reasons, a recent move into the area or a family returning from abroad, an application may be accepted for consideration with those received by the deadline (31 October 2018) if it is received by 30 November 2018, after which the allocation process begins.

Applications submitted after the national deadline of 31 October 2018 will be treated as 'late applications' following the process described in the booklet at the top of this page.

Late applications submitted between 1 November 2018 and 8 March 2019 that are not considered 'exceptional' will be dealt with in 'Round Two'. Parents/carers with applications processed in Round Two will be notified of the outcome by 5 April 2019.

Applications received after 8 March 2019 until 31 August 2019 will be dealt with on a daily basis but only after the round two allocations have been made.

Timetable for late applications: 

8 March 2019 - deadline for late applications ('Round Two')

9  March 2019 to 31 August 2019 - late applications received between these dates will be dealt with daily after 5 April 2019 

5 April 2019 - notification of outcome of late applications in Round Two

Where do I get help?

Help completing the application

The Family Information Service provide help:

  • with completing the application
  • with understanding the process or other aspects of school admissions
  • if your family's first language is not English

You can contact the Family Information Service either by:

Other enquiries

For all other enquiries please contact the School Admissions Team. Contact details are shown on this page.

Special Educational Needs

If your child has an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan you do not need to complete an application form. A school place will be identified for them through a separate process. However, you will need to make an application using the normal process if

  • a request has been made for an EHC needs assessment for your child or
  • your child is currently being assessed to decide whether an EHC Plan is necessary

Please contact the Statutory SEN Service for more information:

Fraudulent applications

You could be subject to investigation and may potentially face criminal proceedings if:

  • you make a false statement or
  • you omit any relevant and appropriate information in your application 

Information you supply in your application may be shared, as the law allows, for the purpose of preventing and detecting fraud.

The offer of a school place may be withdrawn if your application is found to be fraudulent. You must notify the Council immediately of any change in your circumstances. Failure to do so or providing false or misleading information may lead to prosecution action being taken against you.

Each year, Cornwall Council undertakes address checks on a random sample of applications. This is to ensure that information submitted by parents/carers is correct. This is done as part of the process of ensuring that school places are allocated fairly. If you are randomly selected you will receive a letter requesting evidence of your current address. Cornwall Council may also request evidence where it is alerted to potential false statements. In either of these circumstances, any concerns about the validity of the information provided may lead to investigation. Applicants could face criminal proceedings in addition to the withdrawal of the offer of a school place.

How places will be allocated

It is important that you are aware of how applications will be ranked and places allocated at your preferred schools.

Please view our  Admission Arrangements for more details.

Moving to/from Cornwall

Do you currently live outside Cornwall? Do you want to apply for a school place within the County? If so, your application must be made via your home local authority. However, if you have a confirmed address in Cornwall you can apply direct to Cornwall Council. Evidence of your confirmed address can be provided by either:

  • a signed rental agreement or
  • completed proof of purchase

Similarly, if you live in Cornwall and wish to apply for a school in another county, your application must be made via Cornwall Council. This is unless you have evidence of an address elsewhere, as stated above.

Privacy Notice

Please visit the Privacy Notice page for information on how your data will be handled.