Frequently Asked Questions - Admissions 2019

Please note that when our lines are busy it may take some time to get through to one of our advisers.  You may find it easier to see if your question is answered below or to email us:

What if my child has an Education, Health and Care Plan?

Parents/carers with a child who has an Education Health and Care Plan or Statement of Special Educational Needs do not need to apply for a school place this year – they need to speak to the Statutory SEN Service to discuss the transition to school

What if I am moving to/from Cornwall?

If you are currently living outside Cornwall and want to apply for a school place within the County your application must be made via your home local authority. However, if you have a confirmed address in Cornwall, evidenced by either a signed rental agreement or completed proof of purchase, you can apply direct to Cornwall Council.

Similarly, if you live in Cornwall and wish to apply for a school in another county, your application must be made via Cornwall Council unless you have evidence of an address as stated above.

Where can I find out more about how the admissions process works?

There is a wealth of information in the admissions booklets:

When/how will I find out which school my child has been allocated?

If you applied on time (by 31 October 2018 for Secondary Transfer and 15 January 2019 for Reception and Junior Transfer) you will find out your allocation as follows:

  • Transfer to Secondary School: 1 March 2019
  • Starting School (reception admissions): 16 April 2019
  • Transfer to Junior School: 16 April 2019

If you submit an application by the closing date for applications (31 October 2018 for Secondary Transfer and 15 January 2019 for Reception and Junior Transfer) you will be sent a letter in the post on the date above telling you which school you have been allocated. If you opted through the online application system to also be notified by email, you will receive this on the date above.

What if I have changed my mind?

If you change your mind before the application deadline (31 October 2018 for Secondary Transfer and 15 January 2019 for Reception and Junior Transfer) you can log back in to the online application system and change your preferences - but you must remember to resubmit your application. If you have submitted a paper application please put your change in writing to the School Admissions Team.

If you have submitted your application and the deadline has now passed but you wish to express a preference for a different school(s), please put your request in writing to the School Admissions Team.  Please note that your changed preference(s) would be processed as a late application unless it is received before the exceptional deadline stated in the information booklet above (after which the allocation process will begin).

What about school uniform?

Cornwall Council does not provide a grant towards school uniforms.  Each school's Governing Board are responsible for their policy on school uniform; therefore please contact your child's school to check if they offer assistance.

For information on reducing the cost of school uniform, please visit the Support in Cornwall website.

What about school transport?

Please go to the School Transport web pages for information.

If you have received a letter to confirm that your child is eligible for school or college transport but have not yet received your bus pass or travel arrangements, you will need to contact the Passenger Transport Unit. Email