Information about Covid19:
Please read our information on how we are supporting residents and businesses, as well as information on affected services.

Register to vote

You must be on the electoral register (also known as the electoral roll) to be able to vote at an election. 

Since 2014, the individual electoral registration system requires that each person is responsible for their own registration.

Continue reading

To be on the register, you must register to vote either online or by completing a paper form. The online application takes 5 minutes to complete and you will need your National Insurance number. 

Register to vote online

If you need a paper form, please ring us.

Please note: When an election is due, the deadline to apply to register is 12 working days before polling day.

Once you are registered there are a number of ways you can vote

Details of who can and who can't register to vote are available on the Electoral Commission website.

We publish the electoral register every year (usually in December) in two versions:

We also update the register on the first working day each month from January to September and before an election.

Normally there are deadlines each month by which you must apply. These deadlines are on the full electoral register page. 

If your application is approved, you will be added to the register on the first working day of the following month between January and September.

At an election, other deadlines apply. These appear in the Notice of Election on our current and forthcoming elections/referendums page at the start of an election. 

You can view the registers at our office.

To tell us that someone has moved out of your address, please click below:

Remove previous resident from the register

(Please note: We will usually carry out further checks before we delete anyone from the register. It is a criminal offence to supply false information.)

If you feel that adding your name to the electoral register would have serious safety implications for you and other members of your household, you can apply for anonymous registration. 

Please read more on anonymous registration or contact us on on 0300 123 1115.

If you are a member of the British Armed Forces, you can now choose whether to register as a service voter or as a civilian (ordinary elector).

More voting information for service personnel.

If you are a British citizen living or working overseas, you are entitled to register to vote at certain elections in the United Kingdom

You can still register to vote even if you do not have a fixed address. 

If you do not have a permanent address, you can register at an address where you spend most of your time or have some connection. This could be your previous permanent address, a shelter or similar place.

To register, you need to fill in a form known as a Declaration of local connection or ITR for person with no fixed address.

More information is available at the Electoral Commission website.

The council tax register and the electoral register are two separate registers. They are completely different and operate under different laws or regulations.

The council tax register may show the names of the owners and not necessarily the residents of the properties. The electoral registration officer is not permitted to take names from the council tax register and put them on the electoral register and vice versa.

The electoral register is also used for other limited legally specified activities, such as detecting crime (like fraud), calling people for jury service and checking credit applications.