Electoral Registration


The electoral register, also known as the electoral roll, is a list of everyone who is entitled to vote.

You must be on the register to be able to vote at an election.

More information on the electoral register.

Once you are registered there are a number of ways you can vote

Individual Electoral Registration (IER)

Register to vote

(Please note: After you have applied to register, we will need to check and process your application before it can be approved.)

In summer 2014, the way in which people register to vote changed to Individual Electoral Registration.

The full register and the open register

Remove details from the open register

Everyone who registers to vote can choose to have their details excluded from the open register, which can be purchased by anyone.

More details on the open and edited register.

Anonymous registration

If you feel adding your name to the electoral register would have serious safety implications for you and other members of your household, you can apply for anonymous registration. There is a set procedure for these applications. Please read more on anonymous registration or contact us on on 0300 123 1115.

Service personnel

If you are a member of the British Armed Forces, you can now choose whether to register as a service voter or as a civilian (ordinary elector).

More voting information for service personnel.

Living overseas

You may register as an overseas elector if you are:

  • A British citizen living outside the United Kingdom and you satisfy certain conditions
  • You are working outside the UK as a Crown Servant or as an employee of the British Council
  • Are married to or are the civil partner of a Crown Servant or British Council employee and you are accompanying them during their employment abroad

More information on voting for people living or working overseas.

Persons with no fixed address

You can still register to vote even if you do not have a fixed address. This may be because you are:

  • a patient in a mental health hospital
  • a homeless person 
  • a person remanded in custody

To register, you need to fill in a form known as a Declaration of local connection or ITR for person with no fixed address.

Who can register?

British, Irish and Commonwealth citizens over the age of 18 can register to vote at all types of election in the United Kingdom.

Seventeen-year olds and some sixteen-year olds are entitled to be included on the register as ‘attainers’, meaning they can vote when they reach the minimum voting age of 18. 

European Union citizens can register to vote at local government and European Parliamentary elections only.

British overseas electors can vote in British and European Parliamentary elections only.

Please check the list of eligible nationalities to see if you are entitled to register.

(On 1 July 2013, Croatia joined the European Union. As a result, Croatian citizens are now eligible to register to vote as an EU citizen.)

Further information about registering to vote can be found at www.yourvotematters.co.uk.