Information about Covid19:
Please read our information on how we are supporting residents and businesses, as well as information on affected services.

What is council tax?

Council tax is a tax set by your local authority in order to meet their budget requirements. The money collected by Cornwall Council helps to fund the services it provides together with those services provided by your local Parish Councils and the Devon and Cornwall Police and Crime Commissioner.

Local Parish Councils are responsible to set the precept that they charge, which forms part of your council tax charges.

Continue reading

For more information regarding the services Devon and Cornwall Police and Crime Commissioner provide, please contact the Devon and Cornwall Police on 01392 225555 or Email:

Please see council tax bands and band reductions to find details of council tax bands in Cornwall and discounts available. There is also information on council tax for 2020 including how it is spent and how the budget is set.

Most dwellings have a liability to pay Council Tax. One bill is issued for each dwelling whether it is a house, bungalow, flat, maisonette, studio, mobile home, caravan or houseboat, irrelevant of ownership or rental of the property. Council Tax bills are issued in March every year.

You can use this online form to request a duplicate council tax bill. You will be asked to provide your council tax account number, an email address and which financial year(s) you require.

Find out how to pay your council tax .

Our Self Service pages give you instant online access to manage and view your council tax account

Register to view your council tax bill online

  • See full details of your account
  • How your charges are worked out
  • Check your discounts and allowances
  • See when your payments are due
  • View bills and letters we send to you (paperless e-billing)
  • Set up a Direct Debit or make a payment
  • Notify the Council you are moving

Find out more information about Self Service and how to enrol

In most instances it is the resident who is liable. However there are exceptions where this is not the case or where there is no one resident in the dwelling.

For more information, please contact the revenues section using the contact details shown on this page