Information about Covid19:
Please read our information on how we are supporting residents and businesses, as well as information on affected services.

Money off council tax for other reasons

These people also don't have to pay council tax

  • A property where all the people who live there are under the age of 18
  • Armed forces’ accommodation whether occupied or unoccupied
  • Visiting armed forces’ accommodation as long as at least one resident who would be liable for Council Tax is a member (or dependent) of a visiting force and is neither a British citizen or ordinary resident in the UK.
  • A property where at least one liable person has diplomatic privileges or immunity as long as they are not a permanent UK resident, British citizen, British subject or British protected person and the UK is not their main residence or another dwelling in the UK is not their main residence.
  • A property that is part of another property (an annexe or 'granny flat') if a dependant relative lives there who is 65 or over, severely mentally impaired or substantially and permanently disabled. We will give the exemption for as long as the dependant relative lives there.
  • People living in annexes, providing they are related to the person liable to pay the council tax on the main property
  • People living in a property with an annexe, which is unoccupied.

Continue reading

Apply for a discount or an exemption

After you've applied for a discount

You must carry on paying your current council tax bill until you hear from us with a decision. 

  • If you get the discount, we will check every year that you're still entitled to it. We’ll cancel your reduction if you do not reply to our yearly letters.
  • Please tell us if your circumstances change, within 21 days, as this may affect your discount. If you don't tell us you may have to pay a penalty.