Information about Covid19:
Please read our information on how we are supporting residents and businesses, as well as information on affected services.

Private and social housing renters urged to get in touch if they are having difficulty in paying their rent

Residents who are struggling to pay their rent are urged to get in touch for support and advice 

The government’s extended ban on evicting people who rent their homes ended on 20 September with landlords still required to give six months’ notice to any tenants they want to evict. 

Continue reading

Cornwall’s Social and Supported Housing landlords which include Coastline HousingCornwall Council/Cornwall Housing LtdLiveWest and Ocean Housing, have said that no-one will be evicted from their homes as a result of financial hardship caused by coronavirus, where they are working with their landlord to get their payments back on track.  But you should get in touch with them right now if you are having difficulties in paying your rent and haven’t already, as the earlier everyone starts talking the easier it is to resolve problems.  

If you are one of the one in five households who rent your home from a private landlord and are worried about being evicted, we’re urging you to get in touch with Cornwall Housing’s Prevention and Engagement Team at or by calling 0300 1234 161 now so we can work with you and your landlord to help find a solution. 

Cornwall Council cabinet member for homes Andrew Mitchell said: “You may be a private renter who is experiencing difficulties, including being able to pay the rent.  The ban on evictions has been useful but there will some renters out there who are dreading the next few months. Our message is that Cornwall Housing’s Prevention & Engagement Service is open for business and we encourage you to get in touch and ask for help and support so we can try to prevent you losing your home.”  

“If you rent from one of Cornwall’s Social and Supported Housing landlords, get in touch with your landlord now if you are having difficulty in paying your rent.  Please do not ignore the problem, it will not go away! All these social housing landlords, as well as our Prevention & Engagement Service, have trained and knowledgeable staff who will work with you on your options and guide you towards other sources of support such as claiming benefits and debt reduction”.  

Cornwall’s Social and Supported Housing landlords have pledged to: 

  • Keep tenants secure in their home: No-one will be evicted from one of our homes as a result of financial hardship caused by coronavirus, where they are working with their landlord to get their payments back on track. 

  • Help people to get the support they need: Social and supported housing landlords are helping their tenants to access benefits. Advisors have been providing support to tenants who are claiming Universal Credit for the first time and any others that need support with welfare benefits, money advice, debt reduction and support into employment. 

  • Act compassionately and quickly where tenants are struggling Landlords will generally work with any tenant who is struggling and who is willing to make arrangements to pay rent that is manageable for them in the long term. Legal action will only be taken in serious circumstances – for example, as a last resort when a tenant will not agree a plan to pay their rent with their landlord. 

Andrew Mitchell adds: “Landlords too may also be facing financial pressures and tenants should continue to pay their rent if they can afford it. 

If you are a private rented sector landlord who may be getting ready to serve notice or to pursue existing possession orders, again, we are here to offer advice on the support that is available to help if you have a tenant who is breaching their tenancy agreement. 

We can offer mediation and support to both parties to help avoid evictions.” 

If you rent from a social housing provider and are unable to or struggling to pay your rent for any reason you should contact: 

Worrying about whether or not you will be able to keep a roof over your head can take its toll and help and support is available for anyone concerned about their mental wellbeing. 

The Council is continuing to encourage those who can pay their Council Tax to continue to do so but for anyone who is struggling to pay their Council Tax, please do get in touch and explore how we can help.   

We have already been able to help those households currently receiving Council Tax Support after the Government announced a further contribution to the Council Tax Hardship Fund.  That meant we were able to give everyone of working age currently receiving Council Tax Support (25,000 households) an extra £150 off their Council Tax.  

There are also three discretionary funds to support residents in need of extra financial help.     

Discretionary Housing Payments for residents who rent their home, are in receipt of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit and need extra help to pay their rent.     

Exceptional Relief for working age residents in receipt of Council Tax Support and who need further financial help to pay their Council tax     

Crisis and Care Award scheme which can provide extra help in emergency or disaster situations.     

The message is don’t delay.  Get in contact now if you are struggling. 


Story posted 05 October 2020