Plans put forward to support community led projects to help tackle loneliness in Cornwall

Grass roots projects could be eligible to apply for grant funding under proposals to tackle the issue of loneliness and social isolation in Cornwall.

This is part of the Prevention Services business plan being presented at the Overview Health and Social Care Scrutiny Committee today (23 January).

Continue reading

The grant funding will focus on helping local community projects to get started, grow and develop with Cornwall Council proposing to match fund up to 80% of the projects with the other 20% being supported through crowd funding.

This is just one of the proposals being put forward to reduce social isolation and homelessness by improving the way that people access information and advice, helping people to manage their own health and wellbeing and to maximise their independence.

The Prevention Services business case is in its final stages of development with Cornwall Council health and social care commissioners working with a range of service providers and other professionals, as well as people who currently use these sorts of services, to finalise the arrangement which will cover the next four years.

Cornwall has a higher than average number of older people with 24% of the population aged 65 and over, 21% of people with a limiting long term illness and 12% of the population providing unpaid care. These numbers are set to increase over the coming years and with the amount of funding that the council receives from the government decreasing each year Cornwall Council is taking an innovative approach.

From September 2016 to October 2018 an extensive period of engagement and consultation has taken place to help shape these proposals. Cornwall Council portfolio holder for Adults Rob Rotchell said: “Residents have told us they want to take more responsibility for their wellbeing and wellness, be as independent as possible and remain part of their local community.

“Providers have told us that making small steps can make a big difference such as getting people to smile, getting people out of their home for a cup of tea, getting people to eventually attend an activity in their community. This is why we are keen for community projects to help as they are better served to know who is in their community and how best to support them.”

The other proposals include:

  • Identifying a lead partner (or partnership) to work with Cornwall Council Adult Social Care and with care providers to improve links to the voluntary sector and coordinate volunteer support.
  • One countywide contract offering support to people that are rough sleeping or homeless, or are at risk of rough sleeping or being homeless.
  • Direct access accommodation with support for typically no more than six weeks for people who are homeless. (This contract is already in place but has been included as it forms part of the new model).
  • One countywide community outreach contract delivering short term support with independent living skills and self-management of health and wellbeing for people with physical health needs, learning disabilities and any other health needs.
  • Five locality-based supported accommodation and community outreach contracts delivering short term support with independent living skills and self-management of health and wellbeing for people with mental health, substance misuse needs and any other complex needs.

Contracts will start in autumn 2019 following a competitive tender process.

Posted on 23 January 2019