Information about Covid19:
Please read our information on how we are supporting residents and businesses, as well as information on affected services.

Health and Social Care


What do you need help with?


The national blue badge scheme provides parking concessions for people with certain disabilities. A blue badge lets you park closer to the shops and services you need to use, whether you’re the driver or a passenger in a car. The blue badge is for on-street parking only. There are different rules for off-street parking, like council, hospital or supermarket car parks.

Find out more about the blue badge application process

Where a badge has been lost, stolen or destroyed, or has become so damaged/faded that it is illegible, a replacement badge can be issued. You will also need to submit one photograph and a £10.00 fee (cheques made payable to Cornwall Council).

View our renewing a blue badge page

We help adults with social care needs find care and support so they can live as independently as possible in their own homes. This includes older people, people with physical disabilities or learning disabilities, and mental health service users. We can arrange for someone to work with you if you need help to understand what your needs are and how to access services you need.

Social care needs are:

  • Making sure you eat well
  • Looking after yourself
  • Help with day to day living
  • Emotional wellbeing and mental health
  • Staying safe
  • Supporting your family and friends to care for you

We also provide help for carers who look after relatives or friends who can’t manage on their own.

For help and advice about social care or support for an adult, you can request help online. We’ll ask you some questions to find out what you need and how you can be helped.

Find out how to request help online

People may need care at home if they are getting older, have a medical condition, recovering from a surgery or have a disability. There is a range of support available to help you or someone you know stay living at home and retain their independence.

Home care includes but is not limited to:

  • Personal Care such as help with bathing, using the toilet, washing your hair or getting dressed
  • Personal Care with domestic help – cleaning, laundry, meal preparation
  • Health care for medical or clinical aid in the home
  • Outreach
Please view our help to stay living at home information

If you are concerned about a child's safety please contact the Multi Agency referral Unit (MARU) on 0300 123 1116.

We will undertake an assessment when someone is concerned about a child. The assessment gives us an opportunity to talk to the family, if appropriate, to plan the right help for you to solve these problems.

Please view our child protection and safeguarding information

You can find information for carers including information for carers for adults, carers for children. You can also find information on services for carers and contacts for carers on our carers pages.

Please view our carers information