Why choose Local Authority Building Control?
Cornwall Council Building Control, part of the national LABC network, aim to undertake a thorough plan check, as well as a proactive and robust programme of site inspections as we believe that this helps to avoid costly issues arising later. Our site inspection teams based in Camborne, Bodmin and Liskeard are able to offer next day inspections if booked by 5pm the day before.
For Isles of Scilly applications these will be pre-booked to fit in with our regular visits to the islands. Please contact us on 01872 224792 (option 1) to arrange.
Despite over 25 years of competition, we still deal with significantly more projects in Cornwall than all of our competitors put together. The secret of our continuing success is having friendly, knowledgeable and qualified staff based across Cornwall, whilst offering competitive pricing and striving to offer excellent customer service.
Why use Local Authority Building Control (LABC)?
- we are independent and not for profit
- we have unrivalled local knowledge
- we can visit at short notice
- we are committed to continuous improvement, as evidenced by our IOS 9001 accreditation
- as part of the LABC network the Local Authority brand is universally recognised
In Cornwall, we have always respected the wishes of those clients choosing to employ the services of an alternative provider known as "approved inspectors". However, we strongly believe that the client should be free to decide this for themselves.
Recent happy customers commented:
- "Good Morning, I’d like to say how pleased I was with our recent contact with your department. We are in the process of selling our house and a survey last week identified that we ought to have had a Building Regulation Certificate of Completion for our recent roof replacement which as I am sure you can appreciate caused me concern. I’d like to thank you for the efficient and fast response to a situation which was causing me a great deal of stress."
- "Pete Keam provides excellent advice and Chris Stanbury quickly responds to provide fee quotations."
- "Excellent and knowledgeable officers and support staff."
- "I would like to register my thanks and compliments for an excellent service from Rob Deverell of Cornwall Council Building Control."
Choosing an Approved Inspector
If you choose to opt for an approved inspector, we recommend you ask yourself the following questions before making your choice:
- How long has the approved inspector been in existence?
- Where is the approved inspector based and how many staff do they have? If they are based outside the area or region, how will this affect the frequency and timeliness of site inspections?
- If your contractor or agent is encouraging you to use one particular approved inspector, why might this be?
- What will happen if the approved inspector ceases to trade?
- If things go wrong, what procedures are in place to help your resolve the situation? You maybe don't know that when problems arise approved inspectors can cancel you application with them. You would then have to pay Local Authority Building Control for a Reversion Application to help you to resolve any problems in order to sign off the work.
If you'd like to know more about our team please use the relevant link from the menu.
For compliments, comments and complaints about building control please visit our Listening and Learning page.
Our Building Control service is celebrating the news, that following a significant amount of work they have recently been awarded UKAS ISO 9001 accreditation for their quality management system.
The accreditation forms part of a country wide initiative from LABC to drive forward standards within Local Authority Building Control nationally, and contribute to the ongoing transformation of the construction sector being demanded by the government.
To maintain the accreditation, the service is now committed to continuous improvement of standards in areas such as:
- Leadership and management of the team
- Individual commitment of team members
- Customer satisfaction and focus
- Consistency of approach
- Controls to ensure smooth running of processes and tasks
- Appropriately structured training
- Competencies and resource levels across the service
Representatives from the team recently met with the Chief Executive Kate Kennally, to celebrate the achievement.