Registration of a Coronavirus Covid-19 death
Coronavirus is a notifiable disease. This means the death has to be notified to Public Health England, not the Coroner.
When someone dies, a doctor involved in their care has to complete a death certificate. This is known as a Medical Certificate of Cause of Death (MCCD). If they believe the person has died from Coronavirus, the death should be registered as:
- 1a) COVID-19
The death does not need to be reported to the coroner.
View the relevant General Register Office guidance.
Current legislation and guidance documents
- Death Verification, Identification And Registration Guidance For Doctors During Coronavirus Pandemic
- Notification Of Death Regulations 2019
- Notification Of Deaths Regulations Revised Guidance For Medical Practicitioners
- Post Mortem Examinations Guidance Note 32
- Coroner's Guidance For Gps
- Cremation 4 Guidance
Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.