I'm a student, can I get Housing Benefit?

In the majority of cases the government expects students to use their own money, like their student loan, to pay their rent.  Students who find themselves in financial difficulties should contact their student welfare officer for advice.  Discretionary funding may be available from your University or College hardship fund.

Housing Benefit can be considered for students who:

  • Live in Supported or temporary housing
  • Are Pension age. If you have a partner who is not pension age ask us for advice.
  • Receive any benefits which includes a Severe Disability Premium

If you are liable to pay rent, and you fall into one of the above categories you may be able to get some help. But only if one of these also applies:

  • Lone-parent students and student couples with children;
  • A student where your partner is not a student – your partner would have to claim;
  • If you get Income Support, income based Job Seekers Allowance or income related Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit;
  • If you get the Disability premium (this is an allowance we use to work out benefit for people who meet certain conditions);
  • If you get a Disabled Students Allowance for deafness;
  • If you are under 22 and not in higher education (this means that you are in any education after the age of 16, up to and including GCE ‘A’ Level or BTEC National Diploma or Certificate level 3, whether or not the course leads to a qualification);
  • If you are under 20 and someone gets Child Benefit for you;
  • If you have interrupted your course due to illness or caring responsibilities,  (with the approval of your college or university) you may be able to claim for the period between your illness, or caring responsibilities, ending and when you return to University. But only if you do not receive student finance during that time;
  • If you have been covered by a fit note saying that you have not been able to work due to illness, or disability, for at least 28 weeks;
  • If you are a part-time student.

Make a claim online 

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service