Family Information Service
The Family Information Service (FIS) is here to help families across Cornwall by offering free and impartial signposting, guidance and advice.
For parents and carers of children and young people aged from 0 – 20, or 25 if they have additional needs, FIS advisors can provide information on a range of family support services.
So call, email or visit the Family Information Service website for information on family related matters.
Examples of the types of queries we can help with
- Who gives advice on parenting and where can I find groups and classes?
- What can we do as a family?
- Do I qualify for tax credits and other funding?
- Am I eligible for two year old funding?
- How do I get three and four year old funding for my child?
- Problems completing a school application form
- I want to become a childminder, what do I do next?
- What support services are available to help my child with…?
- My child has an additional need, I need help with…
- Children’s centre details
- My family needs a support worker
FIS is the only place to find details of all Ofsted registered childcare providers within the county.
We can provide you with information on:
- Day nurseries
- Pre-school playgroups
- School nursery units / classes
- Breakfast clubs / after school clubs
- Holiday schemes
And answer your childcare related questions:
- What childcare funding is available?
- Where can I use my two, three and four year old funding?
- What should I ask when choosing childcare?
If you are having difficulty in finding childcare, we can offer you a face-to-face brokerage service, after which we will work hard to try and find a childcare provider that meets your requirements.
The Family Information Service website
Information on leisure, health, education, parenting and much more can be found on the FIS website, including:
- Children’s centre what’s on guides
- Parenting programmes
- Family Support service request
- Common Assessment Framework (CAF) service request
- Details on funding for childcare
The Local Offer aims to help families of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) by gathering useful information they need to know, in one place, so they can make informed choices about the support they receive.
So if your child has a special educational need and/or a disability and you are not sure where to go for help, just look on the website for the ‘LO’ symbol or give us a call.
Available Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm. An answerphone is provided at all other times.