Information about Covid19:
Please read our information on how we are supporting residents and businesses, as well as information on affected services.

Registering a Death

When someone dies, you need to register the death, notify government departments and council services and obtain various certificates.

Due to the current situation we are no longer undertaking face to face appointments in our offices.  Instead you can register a death over the telephone, Please use this form to request a telephone appointment or telephone the Customer Services Team on 0300 1234 181 between the hours of 8:30am – 6:00pm Monday to Friday

Once we have received your request we will obtain the Medical Certificate of Cause and other necessary paperwork. We will then contact you to confirm arrangements for your appointment. 

We aim to contact you within 3 days of your request, however due to the change in procedure there may be delays.  Please bear with us during this time.

You should allow approximately 30 minutes for the telephone appointment.

It is preferred that a relative of the deceased registers the death. If there are no relatives then it is possible for other persons to register. These include someone who was present at the death, a senior administrator of the establishment in which the death occurred, or the person instructing the funeral director.

During the Covid-19 pandemic a funeral director may register the death if they are instructed to do so by the family.

Prior to the telephone appointment it is preferable that you gather the information that is required during the registration. The information required is shown below.

Details required

Guidance notes

Deceased details

Date of death    
Place of death
  • This will be the name of the hospital or nursing home, the name or number of the house, the name of the street and village town etc.
  • If the death took place in an ambulance, car etc then you need to provide information about the locality of the vehicle when the death occurred and the intended destination
Name and surname
  • This should be the name they were known as at the time of his or her death.
  • You should also establish if they are known by any other name currently or previously.  You need to record those details together with some notes as to the circumstances to help the registrar ascertain how to record the information in the entry.
Sex Male or female  
Maiden surname of woman who has married This is the surname in which a woman contracted her (first) marriage.  
Date of birth Please provide approximate dates if exact date not known.  
Place of birth Town and county/London borough or country of birth and only country if born outside UK.  
  • Provide as much information as possible relating to the most recent occupation.
  • Please also record whether the deceased was retired.


Deceased's spouse or civil partner
  • Provide full name, occupation and date of birth of the deceased's spouse or civil partner.

Usual address

This should include the name or number of the house, name of the street and village or town.  Where the death occurred in a hospital the deceased’s usual address should be recorded.



After the death has been registered, the Registrar will issue:

A Certificate for Burial or Cremation

(known as the Green Form).  We will send this directly to the crematorium or burial authority or to your funeral director.  This form is needed before the funeral can take place.   In some circumstances this is issued by the Coroner

A Certificate of Registration of Death

(Form BD8/344) is for Social Security purposes. Please read the back of the form in your own time and return it using the details on the form.  This form will be issued with the standard death certificates. 

Standard Death Certificates

You may need to purchase some death certificates. A death certificate is a certified copy of the entry in the death register. These may be required by banks, building societies, solicitors or for pension claims and some insurance claims.

The current fee for a death certificate is £11.00.  You will need to order these after the registration by completing the on-line form below or telephone the Customer Services Team on 0300 1234 181 between the hours of 8:30am – 6:00pm Monday to Friday

Order a copy certificate