Documents you'll need to show us

There is a fee payable to give each notice.  Please see our Civil Ceremony Fees page for details of current prices.

The Registration Officer cannot accept photocopies of any documents.

Continue reading

Couples wishing to give notice of civil partnership are required to produce the following documents:

Full birth certificate

  • All Persons are required to produce a full birth certificate (showing parents' details) or a current, valid passport.  If you are British and were born after January 1983 and do not have a current valid passport you will also need to produce additional documents to prove your nationality.  Please speak to a member of the registration staff who will advise you of the appropriate documents.

Proof of address

  • To confirm your address a document such as a full driving licence, rent or council tax document, utility bill, bank statement or National Health Service card must be produced. If your usual place of residence is not in England or Wales and you are setting up a temporary residency in Cornwall in order to fulfil the legal residential requirements you need to be resident for at least seven full consecutive days and nights immediately prior to the day you attend to give your civil partnership registration.  You will need to provide proof of your residency such as a receipted invoice for paid accommodation or a letter from the householder if your stay was with family or friends.  For further information on how the seven days are calculated please contact a member of the registration staff.

Identity documents if you're from abroad

  • Persons from abroad are required to produce identity documents eg, passport, identity card, Home Office travel documents. People subject to immigration control who wish to give notice of a civil partnership will need to do so at a Registration Office designated for that purpose.  A list of these 76 designated register offices is on the General Register Office website.

Please note: Depending on your nationality and immigration status you may also be required to provide additional information, evidence and photographs. Please check the requirements with the Registration Information Service on 0300 1234 181 between the hours of 8:30am - 6:00pm Monday to Friday before making an appointment to give notice.

Written consent for under 18s

  • Persons under 18 years of age must submit written consent from the appropriate parent/guardian/authority.

Death certificate of former spouse if widowed

  • Widowers or widows must produce proof of death of their former spouse eg, death certificate certified by a Registrar

Decree absolute or a final order of dissolution if previously married or civil partnership

  • Persons who have been married before or party to a previous civil partnership are required to produce a decree absolute or a final order of dissolution of a civil partnership bearing an original court seal. If the divorce/dissolution took place in a foreign country the original document should be produced.   Where the document is not in English a translation of the divorce/dissolution document, which can be made by a friend or relative of the parties providing they add their name and address and certify it as a true and accurate translation, should be provided. Some foreign divorces/dissolution require clearance from the Registrar General and the Superintendent Registrar can arrange this.

Deed poll or statutory declaration if your name has been changed

  • If a name has been changed by deed poll or statutory declaration then these should be produced.

For more information please telephone Cornwall Registration Information Service on 0300 1234 181 between the hours of 8.30am - 6pm Monday to Friday or the Home Office