Information about Covid19:
Please read our information on how we are supporting residents and businesses, as well as information on affected services.


Most full time students can’t claim housing benefit.

However, you may be able to get housing benefit if you are a student and:

Continue reading
  • A pensioner
  • A lone parent (including lone foster parent)
  • Qualify for the disability or severe disability premiums
  • Receive income support or jobseekers allowance (income based)
  • Entitled to a disabled student's allowance or similar because of deafness
  • Under 21 but not in higher education and your current course started before you reached the age of 19 (or you count as a child or qualifying young person for child benefit purposes)
  • Part of a couple where both are full time students and you are responsible for a child or young person
  • You have been incapable of work for 28 weeks
  • You are waiting to get back on a course after approved time out because of an illness or a caring responsibility which has now ended

As a student, there are special rules for working out your benefit, which can be complex.  If you think you’re eligible, ring our benefits advice line on 0300 1234 121.  We’ll give you an appointment for an advisor to ring you back to complete the claim. To make a claim by post, download and complete a claim form.