Drainage and flooding on the highway



Floods can occur during prolonged rainfall and after flash storms. The Environment Agency issues warnings when river and tide conditions are such that there is a risk of flooding. 

Cornwall Fire and Rescue service provide detailed information on preparing for and dealing with flooding of properties.

Report flooding on the highway

To report urgent problems of flooding please telephone 0300 1234 222 (24 hours during emergencies) giving details of the location. In extreme weather conditions with heavy rainfall, work will be prioritised depending upon the severity.

For all non-urgent problems, such as blocked gullies and drains, please telephone our Highways Team on 0300 1234 222 during normal opening hours (8:30am to 6pm Monday to Friday), or email roadstransportandparking@cornwall.gov.uk or use out report a highway problem form.

Alternatively contact us at any of our one stop shops or write to us at your nearest group centre office:

  • Western Group Centre, Radnor Road, Scorrier, Redruth, TR16 5EH
  • Central Group Centre, Castle Canyke Road, Bodmin, PL31 1DZ

Please note - drains and pipes carrying sewage are the responsibility of the water authority and problems should be reported direct to them on 0800 230 0561 (Calls to this number are free from landline phones, however, mobiles charges may apply)

Adoption of highway drainage

Drainage is a very important feature of road construction and maintenance.

New roads include designed drainage systems intended to remove water efficiently from the surface of the highway to provide safe passage for all vehicles and pedestrians. The Council has a range of acceptable methods for the disposal of surface water from roads and other paved areas.

Where the surface water is to be disposed of using traditional methods (sewers) and hence adopted by the Water Authority then the Council will expect to see the proof of the existence of a Section 104 Agreement (under the Water Act). Adoption of the road will not proceed until the sewers have been adopted under this process.

Where the surface water is to be disposed of using a soak away (or similar) and hence adopted by the Council as Highway Authority, then the Council will expect to be supplied with, for approval, the full hydraulic and construction details. These details will form part of the adoption agreement (either section 278 or 38 under the Highways Act 1980).

See also: