St Austell Library
Information about St Austell Library
Current opening hours
|Monday||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|Tuesday||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|Wednesday||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|Thursday||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|Friday||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|Saturday||10:00am - 1:00pm|
In the case of an emergency outside of the above opening hours please phone Kestrel: 01209 313125.
This is a self-service library. Staff are available to help you with your reading choices or if you wish to make an enquiry.
All Cornwall libraries can provide information on living, working or studying in another European Union country.
- Browse our Music and Performing Arts collection for music, theatre, dance, film and drama (see library fees and charges)
- 10 computers with fast broadband Internet connections (please see library fees and charges, booking and acceptable use policy). Free Internet access for children.
- WiFi - free to library members and visitors who take out temporary membership
(WiFi terms and conditions of use policy)
- Fax machine available for public use.
- Ordnance Survey site plans - this service is available by appointment only.
- Printing in black and white or colour (library fees and charges).
- Colour photocopier (library fees and charges).
- Microfilm/microfiche reader/printer (printing library fees and charges apply).
- Scanner (printing charges apply, see library fees and charges).
- Selection of daily and Cornish newspapers.
- A wide range of compact discs including the new Top Chart collections : Rock 1 / Rock 2 / Jazz 1 / Jazz 2 / Soul R&B 1 / Soul R&B 2 / Country/Folk 1 / Country/Folk 2
- Application for a National Concessions Bus Pass can be made during open hours. Saturdays by appointment only.
- On-road parking in a bay at the front of the library and two disabled spaces in the staff car park at the side of the library. There is also a Pay and Display car park at Polkyth, a couple of hundred yards away.
- Disabled access is at the front of the building
- Accessible toilet
Regular events and activities
Beginners Computer Lessons
We run Beginners Computer Courses at selected Libraries. If you would like to attend just ask in your local library.
Bookstart Rhyme Times
For children aged 0 - 3 years. Bookstart Rhymetime sessions are every Wednesday from 9:30am - 10:00am and Mondays (term time) 2:00pm
Community coffee mornings
Quarterly coffee mornings with advice sessions from various community organisations. Please contact the library for dates and details.
Cornwall Carers Service - Drop-in session
Cornwall Carers Service here in the library on 10th June, 1st July, 5th August and 2nd September to answer questions and offer information about help and support available to carers.
- Friday Group - meet in members' homes
- Ghost Group - meet in members' homes, dates vary
- Gorran Group - meet on the first Tuesday of the month in members’ homes
- Mevagissey Group - meet on the last Monday of the month (+ week if bank holiday) in members’ homes
- Mevagissey WI Group - meet on first Tuesday of the month in members’ homes
- Probus Group - meet on first Wednesday in the month
- Roseland Readers Group - meet monthly in members' homes on Thursday evenings
- Roseland U3A Group - meet on third Wednesday of the month in the afternoon in members’ homes
- Saturday Group - meet in the library on the first Saturday of the month, from 10:00am - 11:00am
- Thursday Group - meet on third Thursday of the month, 2:00pm - 3:00pm in the library
- Tuesday Group - meet on first Tuesday of the month, 2:00pm - 3:00pm in the library
- Wednesday Groups - two groups; one meets on the first Wednesday in the month, 5:30pm - 6:30pm, and the other on the last Wednesday in the month, 2:30pm - 3:30pm in the library.
Most groups are full but contact the library if you would like to be put on a waiting list for the library-based groups until a place comes up. We can also help people to set up a new group in the community.
As well as groups in the St Austell area we have a number of readers' groups that can be found throughout Cornwall.
- Every Friday, 4:00pm; for children 2 - 7 years - this storytime session continues throughout the holidays
- Tuesdays, term-time only, 2:00pm - 2:30pm, for children 18 months+.
Special events and activities
Special events - we have a wide range of events taking place in libraries including author talks, drop-in events and much more. Find out if there are any special events taking place in a library near you.