Due to some essential maintenance a number of online services will be unavailable from Friday 18 April 8am until Sunday 20 April at 9pm. Unavailable services include; School admissions, Online planning register, library account and catalogue, council tax and benefits system, mapping, building control forms, job applications, my area page, payments and leisure bookings. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Events in Cornwall Libraries and One Stop Shops
All library events listed on this page are free, unless otherwise stated.
World Book Night is Wednesday 23rd April 2014
World Book Night (WBN) is an annual celebration of books and reading in which volunteers, publishers, libraries and books shops gift thousands of specially chosen World Book Night books. Find out more information about community book giving or why not consider being a community book giver yourself
For World Book Night 2014 we are offering you six FREE reservations for those books you have always wanted to read (in stock titles only). Please ensure you hand in the reservations form into your library on Wednesday 23 April (or on the next open day if your library is closed on 23rd April).
On Wednesday 23 April Launceston Library will be :
- Promoting 6 FREE World Book Night reservations.
- Providing refreshments for visitors on the day. (sponsored by Tesco)
- Hosting a meet and greet with Local Councillors Jade Farrington and Alex Folkes (gifting books as well)
- Gifting from sets of WBN Titles, as well as a random selection of titles gifted from borrowers themselves to share with others.
- Demonstrating the Libraries online services along with general computer advice and support hosted by Peter Finlay
World Book Night 2014 -Celebrate World Book Night at Newquay Library by sharing your favourite reads with the town – and see what everyone else rates! Pop in before Wednesday 23 April and pick up a book review form to add to our display….you can also pick up a reservations form to get 6 book reservations FREE which must be handed back into Newquay Library on Thursday 24 April. Because everything changes when we read!
Free NHS health checks on Tuesday 22 April in Padstow Library
- FREE NHS Health Check
- Are you aged 40-74 years? If so come along for a FREE Health Check.
We can check your:-
- Blood pressure
- Blood sugar
And get instant results
St Ives Library
- The St Ives Camera Club is holding an exhibition in St Ives Library throughout April.
- Thursday 17 April 9:45am – 10:15am is pre-school story time and craft.
- Thursday 17 April Bounce and Rhyme will be taking place as usual from 10.30am-11:00am. Parents, grandparents and carers are invited to bring their babies and toddlers along and enjoy listening to stories and learning new rhymes. All these events are free, and all are welcome.
- Tuesday 22 April at 2:00pm is EXTEND, a movement to music class for the over 60s and the less able of any age. The session is led by a qualified Extend instructor. Entry is £3.50. For more information please phone 01736 757560
- The St Ives Library Book Group, Dead Choughed, meets once a month on a Tuesday at 5:30pm. If you are interested in joining the group please call into St Ives library for more information and to collect the first book.
- The Poetry Circle meets at St Ives library, the first Friday of the month from 1:30pm until 3- 3.30pm approx. (If it happens to fall on a holiday e.g Good Friday then we meet the following Friday) Everyone is welcome, we share poems we have written ourselves or other writers’ poems, for pleasure! If you just like to listen that’s fine too. Enquiries welcomed.Tel.01736 798245 E.mail AngelaDiggle@BTinternet.com.
- The Poetry Forum meets at St Ives library, the 3rd Monday of the month from 1.30pm until 3 – 3:30pm approx. Everyone is welcome to bring their own poem, perhaps not too long, with 6 photocopies (the Library has a photocopying service.) Following reading and consideration the poem will be discussed in a friendly atmosphere with suggestions made (if necessary!).
- The second part of the Forum involves some writing exercises set by any member who offers their services! (please bring paper and pen). The Forum meeting on Monday 20 January 2014 will be considering the work of Cornish poet Charles Causley to inspire our poetry writing. Enqs welcomed.Tel.01736 798245 E.mail AngelaDiggle@BTinternet.com