Events in Cornwall Libraries and One Stop Shops
All library events listed on this page are free, unless otherwise stated.
Cornwall Libraries are running the Mythical Maze, Summer Reading Challenge 2014 for children aged 4-12yrs. The challenge runs until September 2014. The Summer Reading Challenge is the UK’s biggest annual promotion of reading for 4-12 year-olds organised by the Reading Agency and run by public libraries.
Loop the Loop at St Ives Library
- Loop the Loop project at St Ives Library was about creative exploration and inspiration through a series of art/film making activities and events. Artist/filmmaker Joanna Mayes was in residence at St Ives library for two weeks and invited visitors to talk about books, film and how to process it with coffee! Jo then invited other artists to come down during the second week, providing drop-in activities, workshops and general mayhem and a great deal of fun ensued!
- If you missed Loop the Loop in St Ives don't worry, if deemed successful the Loop the Loop project will be rolled out to further libraries all over Cornwall later this year and spring 2015.
- Pirate Mayhem (craft session) on Thursday 28 August at 2pm
- Tickets are available at Falmouth Library 50p per child or £1 for 3 children. All children should be accompanied
- The travelling exhibition to mark the World War One anniversary will be in Fowey Library on Saturday 23 August to Saturday 6 September.
Baby sing n sign
- Starts Friday 1 August until 26 September
- 10am-10.45am ages 0-2yrs.
- In Fowey Library - free just turn up
We often hold events In Fowey Library such as coffee mornings and seasonal events. Each month there is a notice in the Fowey News with all that is happening in the library. Contact the library at any time and the staff will be happy to give you details.
- Summer Reading Challenge - Marks Ark will be visiting the library with all his wonderful animals on Wednesday 3rd September at 10:00am. Ticket to be purchased in advance cost of 50p per child. Mark will talk about the animals and there will be a chance for the children to pet them.
- The travelling exhibition to mark the World War One anniversary will be at Liskeard library on Saturday 13th September to Saturday 27th September.
- To celebrate the Summer Reading Challenge 2014, Mark’s Ark is visiting Newquay Library on Thursday 28 August at 10am and he is bringing a fabulous set of mythical monsters and mini beasts for you to meet. Tickets are available at Newquay Library, just £1 per child.
- WW1 exhibition in Par Library on Saturday 4th October to Saturday 18th October. Free to come and have a look around
St Ives Library and One Stop Shop
Friday 29 August, the Family History group is meeting in St Ives Library from 10:30am-12.00pm. Knowledgeable volunteers will on hand to help trace elusive family members worldwide, and there is free access to the Ancestry website, all are welcome.
Monday 1 September at 9:30am-11:00am is Iyengar Yoga in St Ives Library, suitable for all levels of experience; for more information please phone Ann Nicol on 01736 796248; entry is £7 (£5 concessions).
Monday 1 September at 12:30pm there is Meditation in St Ives Library, this costs £2.00. Booking is not necessary.
Wednesday 3 September - the CAB will be in St Ives Library offering free and impartial advice from 10:00am-1:00pm.
Wednesday 3 September at 9.30-11am is Iyengar Yoga in St Ives Library, suitable for all levels of experience; for more information please phone Ann Nicol on 01736 796248; entry is £7 (£5 concessions).
Wednesday 3 September at 10:45 Bounce and Rhyme will be taking place in St Ives Library. Parents, grandparents and carers are invited to bring their babies and toddlers along and enjoy listening to stories and learning new rhymes.
Wednesday 3 September at 1:30pm there is Tai Chi in St Ives Library. Places are limited so please contact Steve on 07714 766901 to reserve a place.
Truro Community Library
- A talk about D.H. Lawrence's time in Cornwall during the First World War and how this influenced his work - “It is not England”: D.H. Lawrence’s fascination with Cornwall by Dr. Jane Costin in Truro Community Library on Thursday 18 September 2014 at 7pm. Cost of Tickets £5.00 or £10.00 if booking a pre-talk meal from 5pm in the Library Café (The Flying Aubergine).
- Wadebridge Library will be hosting Wadebridge and District Camera Club Photography Exhibition until 13 September 2014