This page lists special events in Cornwall Libraries and One Stop Shops. Events listed on this page are free, unless otherwise stated.
Please see your local library pages for regular events and activities in a library near you.
Summer Reading Challenge encourages children aged 4 to 11 to read six books
Sat 11 July to Sat 5 Sept
Children can take part at any public library in Cornwall. They have to read 6 books to complete the Challenge. For every book they read and tell us about, they receive a small prize; these range from stickers and zip tags to wristbands and games. If they manage to complete six books, they also get a certificate and a medal. The theme this year is Record Breakers.
As part of the Record Breaker theme, The Reading Agency is trying to set a World Record for the most pledges received as part of a reading challenge. 12 libraries in Cornwall are taking part; they are:
Bodmin, Camborne, Falmouth, Launceston, Liskeard, Newquay, Padstow, Penzance, Redruth, St Ives, Torpoint, and Truro. If they wish to be part of the world record attempt, children and adults are invited to visit one of these branches during branch opening hours on Saturday 11th July and sign a short pledge promising to read during the summer. (Note: Padstow will be accepting pledges on Monday 13th instead due to opening hours).
Events scheduled for over the summer holidays:
- Callington Library - Weekend events, every Saturday
- Falmouth Library - Creative Workshop on 25th August
- Hayle Library and One Stop Shop - Creative Workshop on 26th August
- Launceston Library and One Stop Shop - Loom band challenge on 11th July to 5th September
- Liskeard Library, Record Breaking Workshop on 14th August
- Looe Library and One Stop Shop - Lego Challenge date tbc
- Lostwithiel Library - Lego challenge on 17th August
- Newquay Library - Creative workshop on 28th August
- Penryn Library - Fun, stories and crafts on 8th August
- Penzance Library - Bunting chain from 11th July to 5th September
- Redruth Library and One Stop Shop - Record Breaking Workshop on 28th August
- Saltash Library and One Stop Shop - Creative Workshop on 24th August
- St Austell Library - Teeny garden event on 19th August
- St Ives Library and One Stop Shop - Creative Workshop on 26th August
- Torpoint Library and One Stop Shop - Creative Workshop / Record Breaking event on 24th August
- Truro Community Library - Creative Workshop on 25 August, Big and Small event 28th July and 11th August. Mini Breakers event on 4th August and 18th August
- Wadebridge Library and One Stop Shop - Creative Workshop on 28th August
Conversation and Readings
Fri 24 July 2:30pm
- Meet Richard Hoskin, author of The Miner and the Viscount in Liskeard Library. Richard is a witty, informative and entertaining speaker ... a bottomless fund of wonderful stories. Cornish cream tea available for a small fee.
Songsters, Supper and Strawberry Pimms
Fri 24 July 7-9pm
- Salsa and St Austell Library invites you to Songsters, Supper and Strawberry Pimms! Come along and enjoy a musical evening in the St Austell Library garden, please bring a rug or folding chairs.
- Tickets £7.50 (recommended purchase in advance from the library) To include first drink, cheese and biscuits and raffle. Music with Mike Bosworth, Four Tenors and Red River Singers.
- St Ives Library has launched a Lego club. If you have any unwanted Lego at home, all donations of unwanted Lego would be gratefully received. The lego club is free to all primary school aged children, but places are very limited, so please contact the St Ives library to sign up in advance to ensure a place.
- Lostwithiel Library will soon be starting a Lego Club. If you or someone you know is interested please let the library know names and ages. We have a collection of donated Lego and will gratefully receive further donations.
Loop the Loop - creative adventures inspired by books, research and local heritage
- The series of Loop the Loop events held in Cornwall Libraries is complete - take a look at the Loop the Loop animation on You Tube https://youtu.be/Mcw2-nINl80 by Lizzie Black with participants from Redruth School, Bodmin College, visitors to Redruth and Bodmin libraries as well as the Knit and Natter Group in Bodmin! More Loop the Loop activities to be planned later in the year.