This page lists special events in Cornwall Libraries and One Stop Shops. Events listed on this page are free, unless otherwise stated.
Please see your local library pages for regular events and activities in a library near you.
Summer Reading Challenge encourages children aged 4 to 11 to read six books
Sat 11 July to Sat 5 Sept
Children can take part at any public library in Cornwall. They have to read 6 books to complete the Challenge. For every book they read and tell us about, they receive a small prize; these range from stickers and zip tags to wristbands and games. If they manage to complete six books, they also get a certificate and a medal. The theme this year is Record Breakers.
Events scheduled for over the summer holidays:
- Callington Library - Weekend events, every Saturday
- Falmouth Library - Creative Workshop on 25 August
- Hayle Library and One Stop Shop - Creative Workshop on 26 August
- Launceston Library and One Stop Shop - Loom band challenge on 11 July to 5 September
- Looe Library and One Stop Shop - Lego Challenge date tbc
- Newquay Library - Creative workshop on 28 August. Also, to celebrate this year’s theme of ‘Record Breakers’ Newquay Library are running a series of wild and wacky games each week called ‘Minute to Win it’. Two winning contestants each week will then join us at the end of the Summer Reading Challenge to become the ‘Minute to Win it’ Champion!!
- 25 August – Cotton Wool Grand Prix, Games available all day! Come along and have some fun – it only takes a minute!
- Penzance Library - Bunting chain from 11 July to 5 September
- Redruth Library and One Stop Shop - Record Breaking Workshop on 28 August
- St Ives Library and One Stop Shop - Creative Workshop on 26 August
- Truro Community Library - Creative Workshop on 25 August
- Wadebridge Library and One Stop Shop - Creative Workshop on 28 August
Saltash Festival week
- Poetry Reading on Saturday 29 August (10am -12pm) in Saltash Library and One Stop Shop
Esedhvos Festival St Austell
St Austell Library is hosting activities supporting the event. Preserving the history and culture of celtic people through the spoken word, poetry, song, dance and music.
- Talk hosted by Chris Knight, St Austell Brewery Archivist on writing a book for children in Cornish on Tuesday 1 September 2-3pm £1
- Talk hosted by Cornish Bard Mack Waters with slide show in old Cornwall on Wednesday 2 September 7-9pm £1
- Cornish Bard Merv Davey and Alison Davey with Cornish Dance exhibition on Thursday 3 September 11am
- Cornish poetry, singing and harp music hosted by Bert Biscoe and Jo Tagney on Thursday 3 September 2pm £1
Please register you interest by reserving a seat at St Austell Library
Daphne Du Maurier and her Cornish novels lecture by Julie Tamblin
- On Thursday 24 September in Truro Community Library
- Talk Starts at 7pm
- Cost of Ticket: £5 (or £10 to include Pre-talk meal served from 5pm at the Flying Aubergine Cafe)
- Please buy tickets in advance from Truro Community Library enquiry desk
- St Ives Library has launched a Lego club. If you have any unwanted Lego at home, all donations of unwanted Lego would be gratefully received. The lego club is free to all primary school aged children, but places are very limited, so please contact the St Ives library to sign up in advance to ensure a place.
- Lostwithiel Library will soon be starting a Lego Club. If you or someone you know is interested please let the library know names and ages. We have a collection of donated Lego and will gratefully receive further donations.
Loop the Loop - creative adventures inspired by books, research and local heritage
- The series of Loop the Loop events held in Cornwall Libraries is complete - take a look at the Loop the Loop animation on You Tube https://youtu.be/Mcw2-nINl80 by Lizzie Black with participants from Redruth School, Bodmin College, visitors to Redruth and Bodmin libraries as well as the Knit and Natter Group in Bodmin! More Loop the Loop activities to be planned later in the year.