House in Multiple Occupation

If you are a landlord or letting agent in Cornwall it is important that you understand if the property you let is a House in Multiple Occupation (a HMO) and therefore subject to the Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation (in England) 2006 Regulations and whether it requires a licence.

The information provided in this section will help you to identify whether your property is a HMO, whether it needs a licence and, if it does, how much it will cost and how you can apply.

Continue reading

As a basic rule, a property is classed as being a HMO if there are three or more people living there who form two or more households and share bathing and cooking facilities.

If there are less than three people living in the property then it's not a HMO. However, you'll be able to find out about the standards required for other types of private rented properties within the Cornwall Responsible Landlord Scheme and Housing Complaints.

Follow our guide to determine if your property is a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) and whether it requires a licence.


Take me there

Applying for a licence for your House in Multiple Occupancy (HMO) couldn't be easier. The following pages contain all the information you require in a simple step by step process.

Take me there

Find out about your landlord's legal duties and the regulations that apply to the management of HMO properties. Do you know your responsibilities as a tenant living in a HMO? 

Take me there

View the Register of Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) in Cornwall that are licenced with Cornwall Council. The register is in alphabetical order by Ward.

Take me there