Home Page Council News Room Site Map Ask a question Website - information and help Listening and Learning: Compliments, comments and complaints Access Keys

How Homechoice works

When you register with Cornwall Homechoice, we will assess your housing need and give you details of your priority banding, your eligible date, and the type and size of property you can apply for.

Once you receive your assessment letter, you can log into Cornwall Homechoice and bid for suitable council or housing association homes throughout Cornwall. The adverts will give details of the type, size and location of the property as well as who the landlord is, the rent for the property, and any restrictions.


We will compile a shortlist of everyone who has applied for the property and will forward the details of eligible applicants to the landlord.

The property will go to the applicant in the highest need who:

  • has been in that need for the longest time
  • who meets all the eligibility criteria for that property, and
  • who passes the landlords pre-tenancy checks

Existing council or housing association tenants can also view and place adverts seeking other social housing tenants to mutually exchange with.

Once you are on the Homechoice register, you need to let us know if there are changes in your circumstances that could affect your banding.

For more information about how Homechoice works including Banding and Parish Connection see the Cornwall Homechoice Policy.

There are important changes that may affect new tenants. Landlords will be able to offer shorter term tenancies and some may also charge higher rents. You need to understand these changes and what they mean for you before accepting a property from a social landlord. For full details see our Changes to Social Housing Leaflet.

Cornwall Housing,
Dolcoath Avenue,
TR14 8SX

0300 1234 161