Universal Credit

More people in Cornwall will be asked to claim Universal Credit (UC) from autumn 2017.

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment for people in or out of work. It will replace some of the benefits and tax credits that you might be getting now.

Different Job Centers in the region are starting full service at different times:

  • Bude, Launceston, Liskeard - December 2017
  • Truro, Bodmin, Newquay, St Austell - May 2018
  • Helston, Penzance, Redruth, Penryn - June 2018
  • Cornwall areas that come under Devonport Job centre such as Torpoint and Saltash are now likely to be affected in January 2018

You may have to wait a period of time for your first payment. It is important that you are prepared and can continue to pay your priority bills while you wait. All Universal Credit payments will be paid one month in arrears.

Before applying please visit the Universal Credit pages on the gov.uk website. Here, you can find out:

  • if you are eligible
  • how much you can expect to receive and
  • how it is paid

Apply for Universal Credit online

You must phone the Universal Credit Service Centre within seven days of applying online to book your initial Evidence and Claimant Commitment interview. If you do not, your claim will be cancelled.

At your appointment:

  • Tell the advisor that you are a Council tenant and you have rent to pay
  • Tell your advisor if you have financial difficulties, including any rent arrears
  • Make it clear if you have any issues or disabilities that may affect your ability to meet your claimant commitment
  • If you cannot afford to wait for your first payment, you can ask for an Advanced Payment. This will come out of your Universal Credit payments over the next 12 months

If you claim Housing Benefit

Under Universal Credit an amount for housing costs will be included in the Universal Credit payment you receive. This means that you will be responsible for paying your rent out of your Universal Credit payment.

Download our handy guide of the 5 key things to remember

If you are a Council tenant, please use the contact details on this page to speak to us or send a private message through our Facebook Page.