Services for people with sight or hearing loss

We provide advice, information and aids for people who have serious difficulties with their sight or hearing and for their carers.

You can find out more about the help available on this page.

Continue reading

You can also find help available from other organisations in our Community Directory.

In some cases the Council or the health service can help with providing services for people with sight or hearing loss.  If you want to see if you are eligible for help from the Council or the health service, contact us to arrange a needs assessment.

The support we can offer includes:

  • Advice, information and signposting to other services
  • Needs assessments and carer’s assessments
  • Daily living equipment
  • Home adaptations
  • Personal budgets, depending on your level of need and financial circumstances

If you have significant sight loss in both eyes that can’t be corrected with surgery or glasses, we can provide:

  • Training in independence skills to help with daily living, moving around and communicating.
  • Registration with the Council, following certification of your visual impairment.  This may entitle you to some concessions, such as help with NHS costs and public transport.  It can also help you with welfare benefits claims.

If your sight loss is less severe, we can give you advice about support available from other organisations.

If you have hearing problems, we can help with:

  • Learning to lip-read or learning sign language
  • Communication support, including interpreters or voice-to-text
  • Specialist equipment, such as visual doorbells and alarms
  • Telephone equipment, such as text phones or amplified handsets

If you’re a carer, you have a right to a carer’s assessment.  This looks at the support you need to look after someone else.  You can have a carer’s assessment even if the person you look after doesn’t receive support from us.