Applying for and renewing a blue badge
The information on this page tells you how to apply for or renew a blue badge.
Getting an application form and guidance about applying for a blue badge
You can download and print off the blue badge application form and guidance notes. You can also request one by ringing Shared Services on 0300 1234 121 or emailing them at firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can ask for one at your local One Stop Shop.
Returning your completed application form
Or you can return it by post to:
Threemilestone Industrial Estate
Truro PO Box 676
You should enclose:
- £10.00 (cheques to be made payable to Cornwall Council) or call 0300 1234 121 to make payment over the phone.
- 1 passport size photo (Any suitable full face photographs cut down to approximately to 5cm wide by 6cm long can be used. You should write your name on the back and complete Sections 7(a) and 7(d) of the application form to confirm the photo is a true likeness.)
- Any supporting documents requested on the form. The documents should be current – dated within three years of the date that you are applying for badge. Proof of address documents should be dated within the last twelve months.
A new badge design was introduced in January 2012 as part of the UK Government’s reform to reduce fraud and abuse of the scheme. This means that badges for successful applicants will be issued from a nationwide supplier.
New guidance issued by the Department of Transport requires identity checks to be carried out before badges can be issued so please ensure you send in the relevant documentation. Please refer to the guidance at the end of the form to help you complete your application. Any missing information from your application could cause further delays.
In the event of your application being unsuccessful, there is an appeals system.
You can also apply for a Blue Badge online on the Direct.gov website but you will still need to pay the fee to Cornwall Council.
Renewing your blue badge
The Disabled Parking Badge is normally valid for three years from the date of issue. However if you are in receipt of Mobility Allowance, the higher rate mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance or War Pensioners Mobility Supplement and your benefit has been awarded for less than three years, your blue badge will expire on the same date as your benefit.
You need to fill in a new application form and pay another £10.00 fee every time you renew your badge. Please follow the instructions given above for applying for a blue badge.
We need to receive your application at least four weeks before your badge is due to expire, to give us time to consider your application.
Please be aware that as the badges are issued by a nationwide supplier they can take an extra 2 weeks to be processed and dispatched.
Applying for or renewing a badge might mean completing a different application form to one you may have completed before. This may also involve providing different information so that your local authority can process your application more effectively and take an informed decision about whether or not you need to have a mobility assessment.
If your application is successful, your new badge will be sent to you approximately one week before the expiry of your current badge.
What do I do if my blue badge is lost, stolen or destroyed?
Where a badge has been lost, stolen or destroyed, or has become so damaged/faded that it is illegible, a replacement badge can be issued. You will also need to submit one photograph and a £10.00 fee (cheques made payable to Cornwall Council).
Please note that:
- If the original badge has less than six months until it expires, a new application form should also be completed.
- If the original badge has more than six months until it expires, you should write in to the local one stop shop asking for a replacement and advising of the reasons why it is required.
- In the case of lost or stolen badges you will need to file with the police that your badge has been lost or stolen, and then provide us with the police crime report number.
- In the case of faded or damaged badges, the existing badge should be returned.