Children placed in Cornwall by other Local Authorities

Services available to children and young people in care, who may be placed in Cornwall by other local authorities, including children placed for adoption

It also includes the process to notify us when a child in care is placed in Cornwall or when their placement changes or ends.

Continue reading

Please share the information with all relevant professionals within your Local Authority so they are aware of what services are available.

Cornwall is located to the South West of England and borders Devon. The Council of the Isles of Scilly is a separate local authority and children’s social care can be contacted on 01720 424354 (out of hours 01720 422699). The authority does receive support from Cornwall Council for some of its social care functions.


In line with the 2014 amendments to the Care Planning, Placement and Case Review (England) Regulations 2010, if you are planning on placing a child or young person within the boundaries of Cornwall from another Local Authority you should consult with us. Please direct this consultation and the up to date care plan for the child to the Multi Agency Referral Unit at

If you are unsure if a placement is based within the boundary of Cornwall please use the following 'Find your local council' online tool.

A formal notification is attached to confirm the arrangements and the contact details for the child’s social worker.  A copy of the care plan should be made available within 5 working days of the commencement of the placement.


For child protection enquiries contact the Multi Agency Referral Unit on: 0300 1231 116. Out of hours telephone: 01208 251300

For allegations made against those who work with children the referral should be made to the MARU in line with Working Together 2015 but advice and guidance can be sought in the first instance from the duty LADO on 01872 326536.  (NB this is not a general line of enquiry for children’s safeguarding).

For allegations relating to the abuse of vulnerable adults (18 and over), please call 0300 1234 131.

Exploited and Trafficked Children

The Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Safeguarding Children Partnership has overall responsibility for ensuring that there is a co-ordinated, multi-agency response to the issues of Child Sexual Expoitation (CSE) and Missing, Exploited and Trafficked children in Cornwall. All agencies have a responsibility to support that work. 

Further information can be found on the SCP website

When placing a Child in Care in Cornwall who has been a victim of or is at risk of CSE, Exploitation or trafficking,  please forward all relevant information as part of the LAC notification to include a CSE risk assessment, copy of the last plan/details of the last plan, and summary from your Missing and Child Sexual Exploitation panel or your multi-agency equivalent. 

If you become aware of CSE or Missing incidents or information related to people, locations  or vehicles of concern that may involve the Child in Care you have placed within Cornwall and/or other children in the area, to help our local safety planning and development of intelligence in order to target and disrupt CSE activity, please complete a multi agency referral form or contact the Multi-Agency Referral Unit (MARU) on 0300 1231116 or at


Cornwall’s Virtual School, (The Children in Care Education Support Service - CICESS) has oversight for all of Cornwall’s children in care from age 3, throughout their statutory education years and through until 18.

CICESS promotes the educational achievement of children in care through support and challenge to schools and other services regardless of where they are placed. The service also maintains an oversight for children in the care of other local authorities placed in Cornwall’s schools.

All of Cornwall’s schools, academies and colleges are part of our learning community and work in partnership with us to enable each child in care to access and attain the best possible outcomes.  All Cornwall’s schools and academies have a Designated Teacher for Children in Care to promote their educational achievement.

School Admissions

Children in care should not be placed in another authority without educational provision in place.

All applications for primary and secondary school places (including mid-year applications) should go through Cornwall’s school admissions team.

For application forms, information and the specific Protocol for school placement of children in care in Cornwall please see the School Admissions web pages.

Special Educational Needs

A child is defined as having Special Educational Needs (SEN) if he or she has a learning difficulty which requires special educational provision to be made. This can be either in a mainstream or special school.  Each school is required to publish the services and resources available for children with special educational needs or disabilities.

When a child in care has an Education and Health Care Plan or a Statement of Special Educational Needs; admissions are arranged through the Assessment and Educational Provision Team. They can be contacted via

Every Local Authority is required to publish information about services that are available for children in with special educational needs or disabilities and their families.  Further information can be found in the The SEN File.

Local Offer

Cornwall provides a range of health and other services to support children with additional needs. How to access or refer to the service required can be found on the Local Offer web pages.

Early Help

Cornwall has an integrated Early Help Hub which is the single point of access for professionals, families and young people to access Early Help Services in Cornwall.

Early Years 

Early Years provision in Cornwall is provided through a mixed market of maintained nursery schools and classes as well as private, voluntary and independent sector providers, including childminders. Information, advice and guidance about Early Years providers can be found via the Family Information Service.

Eligibility for early education places for children in care is implemented according to the Early Education and childcare Statutory guidance for Local Authorities. Information can be found on the website.

In the unlikely circumstance that there could be a request for a two year old child in care to attend a setting that does not have an Ofsted rating of good or outstanding, we would ask that advice about any potential placement is sought from the Family Information Service. They will be able to discuss any concerns about any placement and can provide details of any funding approval process that may be required where a setting is in an Ofsted category of “Requires Improvement”.

Our Family Information Service (FIS) provides free up to date and impartial advice and guidance on the full range of Ofsted registered childcare and early years education in Cornwall. The FIS can also be contacted at or by telephone on 0800 587 8191.

Children's Centres

Children’s Centres offer integrated education, care and family and health services to support families with a child under 5 years of age.

Cornwall’s Children’s Centre Core Offer is a multi-agency response to need primarily focussing on children aged under 5 years but extending to meet the needs of families supporting children and young people up to the age of 19 years (up to the age of 25 years if a young adult presents with additional needs). This is in accordance with Cornwall’s multi-agency Early Help Strategy.

Youth Offending Service

The principal aim of the Youth Offending Service (YOS) is to reduce the likelihood of re-offending and the harm caused by offending to specific victims and communities in general with an aim to bring about change that will also improve the life chances of individual young people. The principles underpinning the work of Cornwall and Isles of Scilly YOS starts with the belief that young people are capable of change and that our role as professionals is to facilitate this by building meaningful relationships with the young people who use our service in order to inspire, motivate and empower them to make positive changes and achieve positive outcomes.

We are committed to working with our partner agencies to avoid children becoming looked after wherever possible, to providing robust timely intervention programmes to prevent young people coming into custody/youth detention; unless in exceptional circumstances the risk to the public/specific victims is too great. We have agreed standards for information exchange at the point of young people who are Children in Care to the Local Authority becoming known to the Youth Offending Service and work closely in partnership with Independent Reviewing Officers.

Our commitment to the positive engagement of young people and those important in their networks can be seen as a common thread running through all our Policies and Process.

Cornwall YOS can be contacted on 01872 326782 or at

Access to Health Services

All children in care living in Cornwall must be registered with a local GP, dentist and optician. They will have access to universal services, including Health Visiting and School Nursing (if attending a local school).

You can find a local GP or NHS dentist via the NHS Choices website.

Children in care will require Statutory Health Assessments and these are co-ordinated by the Specialist Children in Care Nursing Team for Cornwall . Initial Health Assessments are carried out by paediatricians and Review Health Assessments by the most appropriate health professional who in most cases will be a Specialist Children in Care Nurse.

To access the team please telephone 01872 254523 or email  or . The designated professionals can also be contacted by these details.

All requests for Health Assessments should be emailed to

Please do not send any requests for Health Assessments direct to individual practitioners.

If, on completion of a health assessment, there is a need to refer the child to another service for assessment or support the placing authority will be informed.

Children and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)

Cornwall CAMHS services are provided by Cornwall Partnership Trust. They can be contacted via or the Cornwall Early Help Hub.

Support for Children in Care and Care Leavers 

The V4US Children in Care Council provide a range of activities and opportunities for children and young people in care across the county.  It is run by Barnardo’s who can be contacted on 01566 86873. V4US meet regularly to explore how they can support the development of services and organise activities for the wider community of children and young people in care. 

Volunteer Cornwall provides the independent advocacy service for Cornwall Children in Care.  They can be contacted on 01872 266993 for advice on obtaining advocacy for children and young people from other local authorities. 

Support, activities and mentoring for children in care and care leavers is provided by Carefree who can be contacted on 01209 204333, more details are available via the Carefree Cornwall website

Cornwall Council commissions, through our partners in the voluntary community sector, universal youth support services.

We hope that the time your child or young person spends in Cornwall will be positive and if we can provide any advice or support please do not hesitate to contact the appropriate service.