Home Page Council News Room Site Map Ask a question Website - information and help Listening and Learning: Compliments, comments and complaints Access Keys

Services for Carers

This section outlines a number of services which carers may find useful. For information on services to suit your individual needs, contact the Cornwall Carers Service on 01872 266383.



Following an assessment from Adult Care, Health and Wellbeing, the person you care for may be entitled to a personal budget. This is a sum of money given to them by Adult Care, Health and Wellbeing so they can buy their own support services to meet their assessed needs. Personal budgets give people more choice and flexibility to purchase exactly the services they need, at a time to suit them.

People use their personal budgets in a number of different ways, including employing a personal assistant, organising practical help in the home, or taking part in an activity. Personal budgets must be spent on meeting an assessed eligible social care need.

For more information and an initial assessment, contact Adult Care, Health and Wellbeing on 0300 1234 131, or go to our personal budgets page.

Through completion of a carer assessment, carers may be able to access a personal budget for themselves. This means they may be able to access some money which will enable them to remain in their caring role for longer. This budget can be paid to carers through a direct payment, and can be paid in one lump sum, or through smaller more regular amounts. The payment of a carer’s personal budget is not considered as income for welfare benefit and tax purposes.

The amount of money allocated in a carer’s personal budget will depend on the needs and outcomes identified during the carer's assessment. 

Your local Jobcentre Plus office offers help and advice for carers wishing to enter or return to employment. Advice on benefits for carers, and the person they support, is also available.

There are Jobcentre Plus offices in Helston, Penryn, Penzance, Truro, St Austell, Bodmin, Bude, Launceston, Liskeard, Newquay and Redruth. To contact your local office, call 0845 604 3719.

Cornwall Council’s Lifeline Service enables the person you look after to communicate with staff manning a central alarm system 24/7. The system is available for a small charge, and in some cases, financial help may be available. For further information, contact 01872 224521.

Age UK also run an Aid Call Scheme - a personal alarm scheme for older people, and can be contacted on 01872 266388.

If you worry about what would happen to the person you care for if you were unable to be there in an emergency, this scheme could help. Together with the person you care for, you make a contingency plan, and then register it with Cornwall Lifeline. They will make sure the plan is put into place when it is needed. For further information, please contact 01872 324363.

The Safe Places scheme helps people with a learning disability in Cornwall deal with any incident that takes place whilst they are out and about in their local community. Stickers are issued to establishments that sign up to the scheme, and people with a learning disability have a card with emergency contact details on it. Staff at the safe place will assist anyone with a card who goes to them for help. For more information, call 0300 1234 131 and ask for the Access Team.

Cornwall has 10 Changing Places toilet facilities which are specially designed for people with disabilities, and include an adult sized changing bench, and hoist system.

At a small cost, Cornwall Council can supply a ‘blue badge’ to people who are registered blind or have limited mobility. This allows disabled people to park closer to their destinations, whether they are a driver or passenger. For further information, please contact 0300 1234 121 (option 4), or go to our Blue badge pages.

Run by Cornwall Council, FIS provides up-to-date information, assistance and advice on services for children and families in Cornwall, including childcare, breakfast and after school clubs, children’s centres, toy libraries, parent and toddler groups, and holiday activities. Contact 0800 5878 191, email fis@cornwall.gov.uk or look at the FIS website.

There are many services in Cornwall that carers may find useful, including adult speech and language therapy, the Continence Promotion Service, Macmillan nurses and the Cornwall Stroke Service. For more information about these services and more, you can visit the Cornwall Community Directory, where you can access health and social care services and events in Cornwall.

The directory includes:

  • Jobcentre Plus offices - offering help and advice for carers wishing to enter or return to employment and advice on benefits for carers and the person they support.
  • Health Services - providing a wide range of community and hospital-based services for people with health conditions, including people with mental ill health, learning and physical disabilities and dementia, contact details for the Community Mental Health Teams, the Adult Learning Disability Service and the Memory Assessment Service.
  • Meals at home - delivering fresh or frozen meals to people at home.
  • Day services - if the person you care for has a personal budget, they can use it for day-time activities, for example at a day centre.

Back to Services for adult carers leaflet.


0300 1234 131