Home Page Council News Room Site Map Ask a question Website - information and help Listening and Learning: Compliments, comments and complaints Access Keys

Vehicle Permit Scheme


Do I need vehicle permit?

The list below shows vehicles that are allowed at household waste and recycling centres and whether they need a permit

Vehicles that need a permit aren't allowed to bring trailers on site.

Trailers are measured on their original internal length, even if their internal dimensions have been adapted. 

How does the scheme work?

If you have a large trailer or a commercial vehicle designed to carry goods, you need a permit to use the household waste recycling centres. Permits are free for households in Cornwall and can be used at any of the household waste recycling centres.

Only one permit per household is allowed. If you have more than one vehicle, you must decide which one you want to register.

The permit allows up to 12 individual visits in 12 months to dispose of household waste. We can't take trade waste.  

How do I apply for or renew a vehicle permit?

If you would like to apply for a new permit or renew an exisiting permit,  complete our online household waste recycling permit.

You can also apply for or renew a permit by downloading an application form or ringing us on 0300 1234 141 and asking us to send you a form.

Please read our terms and conditions before you apply.

We'll send your permit within 14 days of receiving your application. You can't visit the site until you have your permit.

Do I need a permit for a hired vehicle?

If you've hired a van for three days or less, you don't need a permit to use it to bring household waste to a household waste recycling centre. You will need to show your hire agreement to site staff and complete a form to say you only have household waste.

If you've hired a van for more than three days, you may need a permit. Ring us on 0300 1234 141 for details.



VehicleAllowed on sitePermit Required

Car- including estate cars

Car logo




Freelander logo



4x4 with open back or separate cab

Ford pickup logo



Van under 3.5 tonnes

peugeot van logo



Van over 3.5 tonnes

large van logo



Any van/pickup with any trailer

peugeot van with trailer



A car/4x4 with a trailer under 1.8m (6 feet) internal length

small car with small trailer



A car/4x4 with a trailer between 1.8m (6 feet) and 3m (9.8 feet) internal length

freelander with large trailer



Horsebox under 3m long

small horse box



Trailer or horsebox over 3m long

large horse box



Why do I have to complete a trade waste disclaimer?

If site staff aren't sure whether your waste is household waste or trade waste you will be asked to complete a form to say you only have household waste. 

Frequently Asked Questions

More information on the permit scheme and its restrictions is available on the Frequently Asked Questions page.