Do I need planning consent or building regulations?

With all building work, the owner of the property or land is responsible for meeting the relevant planning rules and building regulations.

You can check whether you’re likely to need planning permission by reading through our guidance on householder permitted development rights, visiting the Planning Portal’s interactive guide or using our checking service.

Continue reading

If you are unsure about the differences between Planning Consent and Building Regulations, the Planning Portal have prepared the following guide: What is the difference between Building Regulations and Planning Permission?

You can make certain types of minor changes to your house without applying for planning permission, this is called "permitted development"

You can view an online version of the permitted development legislation.

For further information about permitted development please view our Permitted Development Fact Sheet.

The Planning Portal website provides up to date information about work that can be carried out with and without planning permission.

This information is provided in an interactive guide: Do you need permission?

The Planning Portal also provide planning and building regulations guidance for many common building work projects for the home: Common projects 

You can also check whether you need planning permission, listed building or demolition in a conservation area consent and/or building regulations by sending us a completed Do I need planning consent or building regulations form.  We aim to respond within 10 working days.  The checking service is free for building regulations, but there is a fee of £44 (including VAT) to check whether you need planning consent.

Our checking service gives you an informal view of whether you need planning permission. For peace of mind, you can apply for a lawful development certificates if you wish. This is formal proof that your household building work is lawful and doesn’t require planning permission. There is a fee for this service.

If you are creating a new vehicle access or off-road parking space you may need to apply for planning permission, depending on the location and category of road.

Once planning consent has been granted, or you have confirmation that it’s not required, you need to apply for a Vehicle Crossover Licence for permission to cross the footway with a vehicle. There is a fee for the licence.