Do I need planning consent or building regulations?

With all building work, the owner of the property or land is responsible for meeting the relevant planning rules and building regulations.

You can check whether you’re likely to need planning permission by reading through the following guidance:-

Continue reading

If you are unsure about the differences between Planning Consent and Building Regulations, the Planning Portal have prepared the following guide: What is the difference between Building Regulations and Planning Permission?

You can make certain types of minor changes to your house without applying for planning permission, this is called "permitted development"

You can view an online version of the permitted development legislation.

For further information about permitted development please view our Permitted Development Fact Sheet.

In some cases, some of the permitted development rights may have been removed by the issuing on an Article 4 direction. This will mean that a planning application will need to be submitted for work when it would normally not be required. For further information, please see our page on Article 4s.

The Planning Portal website provides up to date information about work that can be carried out with and without planning permission.

This information is provided in an interactive guide: Do you need permission?

The Planning Portal also provides planning and building regulation guidance for many common building work projects for the home,: 

If you need planning permission, you can use our pre-application advice service before submitting your application to us.

You can also check whether you need planning permission, listed building or demolition in a conservation area consent and/or building regulations by sending us a completed Do I need planning consent or building regulations form.  We aim to respond within 10 working days.  The checking service is free for building regulations, but there is a fee of £50 (including VAT) to check whether you need planning consent.

Our checking service gives you an informal view of whether you need planning permission. For peace of mind, you can apply for a lawful development certificates if you wish. This is formal proof that your household building work is lawful and doesn’t require planning permission. There is a fee for this service.

At Cornwall Council we receive many enquiries from members of the public wishing to start a new, or, expand an existing business.

For more information on planning and building regulation requirements, please see the Planning Portal. The following links may be useful, see list below:

The Council works in partnership with the Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Local Enterprise Partnership. They also work with business support agencies across Cornwall to ensure that information, advice and guidance is available to help your business when you need it. You can visit our business support and advice page for further information.

If you are creating a new vehicle access or off-road parking space you may need to apply for planning permission, depending on the location and category of road.

Once planning consent has been granted, or you have confirmation that it’s not required, you need to apply for a Vehicle Crossover Licence for permission to cross the footway with a vehicle. There is a fee for the licence.