Applying for a county farm
Where we advertise
We publish details of county farms to let on this page. We also advertise our farms in the Farming section of the Wednesday edition of the Western Morning News. If you have registered on our mailing list we will write to let you know that a farm is being advertised.
We re-let between three to seven farms each year. Most county farms are re-let in September or March but they can become available at any time throughout the year so we recommend you check this page regularly.
If you would like to be added to our mailing list you will need to complete an application to be considered as a tenant. The mailing list is not a waiting list; it’s a list of prospective applicants who we contact when a farm becomes available.
County Farms To Let
No. 3 Trerice and North Hellescott Farm
The County Farms Service intends to relet the following holdings from 1st April 2016.
- No 3 Trerice - 191 acres (77 hectares) equipped dairy farm offered on an Farm Business Tenancy of up to 20 years
- North Hellescott - 213 acres (86 hectares) equipped dairy farm offered on an Farm Business Tenancy of up to 20 years
Particulars are available at a cost of £5 each (Cheques made payable to Cornwall Council) until Wednesday 12th August 2015 from:
County Farms Service, Carrick House, Pydar Street, Truro, TR1 1EB
Or can be requested electronically free of charge by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply
If you wish to apply for a county farm you should read the particulars and attend a view day before making your application.
- Submit a tender, your CV and business plan (which should include an outline of the proposed business and budgets to demonstrate it's viability and an indication of future development)
- The Tenant Selection Panel and Land Agents study all tenders received from which a shortlist of applicants are selected.
- The Land Agent visits prospective tenants to inspect existing holdings.
- Financial and personal reference are taken up.
- Interviews are undertake by the members of the Tenant Selection Panel and the Land Agents.
Applications are considered giving weight to the following criteria:
- Rent – 30%
- Technical ability – 30%
- Finances – 30%
- Entrepreneurial flair – 5%
- Professionalism – 5%
When the successful applicant has been selected, the farm will be offered for a fixed amount of time, dependant on the farm classification:
- Part time starter units - 7 years
- Full time starter units - 10 years
- Promotional holdings - a maximum of 20 years