The Roles of Environmental Protection
Cornwall Council's Environmental Protection (EP) Team investigates and takes necessary actions to protect people and the environment from pollution and certain statutory nuisances. The types of issues covered include:
- Authorisation and monitoring for compliance with conditions for emissions from industrial processes prescribed under Part 1 of the Environmental Protection Act
- Investigations and relevant action in response to complaints of statutory nuisance under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005.
- Identification and evaluation of contaminated land sites.
- Investigating and enforcing Environmental Crime including investigation and removal of abandoned vehicles, fly tipping, litter/waste offences
- Dealing with stray dogs, dog welfare, patrols and enforcement in relation to dog fouling and control orders, mirochipping and identification schemes
- Monitoring for prescribed types of air pollution and updating of an air pollution strategy for the district.
- General advice on Environmental Protection matters
- Sampling and monitoring of private water supplies to ensure compliance with regulations
- Action under the Public Health Acts including dealing with filthy and verminous properties and destitute deaths and exhumations
- Investigation and necessary action in relation to pest control enforcement (not treatment)
- Advice on bathing water quality
- Investigation of certain unsatisfactory drainage provisions
- Statutory consult to the Planning service for certain planning and development works in relation to Environmental Protection matters including nuisance, air quality and contaminated land.
- Discretionary power to prevent unauthorised entry to unoccupied buildings
- Proactive education events with regard to Environmental Protection matters
Environmental Protection have a range of enforcement responsibilities which are undertaken in line with our Enforcement Policy and Juvenile Enforcement Procedure . Please see pages in the menu for further information on specific subjects
We operate in accordance with our Regulators Code to ensure we offer an efficient, courtious and efficient service.
The Environment Agency deal with pollution to water sources and can be contacted on 03708 506506 Mon - Fri 8am - 6pm or to report a serious pollution incident their 24 hour helpline is 0800 807060