Please note that the Historic Environment service has relocated to the following address:
New County Hall
All telephone numbers and email addresses for staff and general enquiries remain the same.
Please be advised that while the documents and links found in our web-pages as follow are in the process of being updated some may temporarily still be showing the old address.
The varied work of the Historic Environment teams in Cornwall is brought together in an Historic Environment White Paper, which sets out the Council’s aims and objectives for the next five years.
Please use the left hand menu for information on conservation in Cornwall. There is an introduction to the work of the conservation team below that.
The conservation teams advise on the protection and enhancement of the historic built environment. Although much of their work concentrates on listed buildings and conservation areas they keenly promote high quality design in buildings and the public realm and they play a proactive role in heritage led regeneration.
The teams' functions include:
- Advising on planning matters relating to the historic environment, particularly concerning listed buildings and conservation areas.
- Managing heritage-led regeneration schemes.
- Providing grant and repair advice to the owners of historic buildings.
- Promoting and managing the preservation and enhancement of Conservation Areas.
- Helping people to understand, enjoy and care for the historic built environment.
- Promoting good design, in both buildings and the public realm.
- Helping to formulate policy for the historic built environment and producing design guidance.
- Providing advice on heritage matters to the Council, owners, agents, developers and other bodies concerned with built environment conservation and heritage-led regeneration issues.
Useful links for more information about Cornwall's historic environment.