School Term Dates and INSET Days
Cornwall Council is responsible for setting the term dates for all community, voluntary-controlled and maintained nursery schools in its area. Foundation, trust, voluntary-aided, free schools and academies have the freedom to set their own term dates - please contact the individual school to find out their term dates.
2014/15 Term Dates for Community and Voluntary-Controlled Schools
- Autumn term 2014 (72 days)
4 September - 19 December
(Half term 27 October - 31 October)
- Spring term 2015 (55 days)
5 January - 27 March
(Half term 16 - 20 February)
- Summer term 2015 (68 days)
13 April - 23 July
(Half term 25 - 29 May)
- Christmas Day - 25 December 2014
- Boxing Day - 26 December 2014
- New Year's Day - 01 January 2015
- Good Friday - 03 April 2015
- Easter Monday - 06 April 2015
- Early May Holiday - 04 May 2015
- Spring Bank Holiday - 25 May 2015
- Summer Bank Holiday - 31 August 2015
2015/16 Term Dates for Community and Voluntary-Controlled Schools
- Autumn term 2015 (72 days)
03 September - 18 December
(Half term 26 - 30 October)
- Spring term 2016 (54 days)
04 January - 24 March
(Half term 15 - 19 February)
- Summer term 2016 (69 days)
11 April - 22 July
(Half term 30 May - 3 June)
- Christmas Day - 25 December 2015
- Boxing Day - 28 December 2015
- New Year's Day - 01 January 2016
- Good Friday - 25 March 2016
- Easter Monday - 28 March 2016
- Early May Holiday - 2 May 2016
- Spring Bank Holiday - 30 May 2016
- Summer Bank Holiday - 29 August 2016
2016/17 Term dates
From September 2015 all schools, including community and voluntary-controlled schools, will be able to set their own term dates. However, the Local Authority will continue to provide recommended dates to schools in order to encourage consistency.
The proposed dates will continue to be based on the recommendations from the Cornwall Education Unions and the recommended dates proposed by Devon County Council and Plymouth City Council. They will also be prepared in line with the requirements for local authority maintained schools to have 190 pupil days and 5 INSET days.
The draft recommended dates for 2016/17 and 2017/18 are currently with schools for consultation. Once finalised the recommended dates will be provided to schools and you will be able to contact individual schools for their agreed dates. This should be early in the summer term 2015.
About Term Dates
Term dates for Local Authority maintained schools must be set with regard to the appropriate regulations which require schools to have at least 380 half-day sessions (190 days) in each school year. This is consistent with the 195 days a year required by a teacher's Statutory Conditions of Service – the additional five days are for in-service training (INSET).
In service training (INSET) days are taken during school time and are used by schools to provide staff training without pupils being present. Schools are permitted to take five INSET Days during each academic year.