School Term Dates and INSET Days
From September 2015 all schools, including community and voluntary-controlled schools, will be able to set their own term dates. However, the Local Authority will continue to provide recommended dates to schools in order to encourage consistency across the county and with its neighbours, Devon and Plymouth.
The proposed dates will continue to be based on the recommendations from the Cornwall Education Unions and the recommended dates proposed by Devon County Council and Plymouth City Council. They will also be prepared in line with the requirements for local authority maintained schools to have 190 pupil days and 5 INSET days.
Please contact individual schools to find out about any variations to the dates below and their distribution of INSET days.
2014/15 Term Dates for Community and Voluntary-Controlled Schools
- Autumn term 2014 (72 days)
4 September - 19 December
(Half term 27 October - 31 October)
- Spring term 2015 (55 days)
5 January - 27 March
(Half term 16 - 20 February)
- Summer term 2015 (68 days)
13 April - 23 July
(Half term 25 - 29 May)
- Christmas Day - 25 December 2014
- Boxing Day - 26 December 2014
- New Year's Day - 1 January 2015
- Good Friday - 3 April 2015
- Easter Monday - 6 April 2015
- Early May Holiday - 4 May 2015
- Spring Bank Holiday - 25 May 2015
- Summer Bank Holiday - 31 August 2015
2015/16 Term Dates for Community and Voluntary-Controlled Schools
- Autumn term 2015 (72 days)
03 September - 18 December
(Half term 26 - 30 October)
- Spring term 2016 (54 days)
04 January - 24 March
(Half term 15 - 19 February)
- Summer term 2016 (69 days)
11 April - 22 July
(Half term 30 May - 3 June)
- Christmas Day - 25 December 2015
- Boxing Day - 28 December 2015 (for 26 December)
- New Year's Day - 1 January 2016
- Good Friday - 25 March 2016
- Easter Monday - 28 March 2016
- Early May Holiday - 2 May 2016
- Spring Bank Holiday - 30 May 2016
- Summer Bank Holiday - 29 August 2016
2016/17 and 2017/18 term dates
The recommended dates for 2016/17 and 2017/18 have been sent to schools and can be seen here. Schools can amend the dates as required and will add INSET days throughout the year.
About Term Dates
Term dates for Local Authority maintained schools must be set with regard to the appropriate regulations which require schools to have at least 380 half-day sessions (190 days) in each school year. This is consistent with the 195 days a year required by a teacher's Statutory Conditions of Service – the additional five days are for in-service training (INSET).
In service training (INSET) days are taken during school time and are used by schools to provide staff training without pupils being present. Schools are permitted to take five INSET Days during each academic year.