Privacy Notice - school place applications
The information on your school place application form is collected by Cornwall Council as Data Controller in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
Why are we collecting data and information about you and your child?
All of the information collected on your school place application form allows us to allocate school places fairly and in accordance with the School Admissions Code 2014 and local policies.
What information do we need?
The questions on the application form are all required to allow us to process your application and to assess your child’s eligibility for a school place when considered against the Council’s and school’s policies for admissions. We can only use the information provided on your application form and any supporting information provided by you to assess eligibility. In completing your application you may provide information that cannot be taken into account when allocating school places. We strongly recommend that you read the information and guidance provided on our web pages or on request from the School Admissions Team to understand what information will be used during the allocation process, in particular the school’s oversubscription criteria.
How will we use the data and information you provide?
The information you provide on your school place application form and any supporting papers will be used to:
- process your application;
- allocate school places in accordance with admissions law;
- consider and process admission appeals;
- populate our education database and allocation process databases; and
- contact you in relation to your application.
We may also use the information you provide for the following purposes:
- Forward planning as part of budget, forecasting and reorganisation proposals.
- To assist in the development of policy proposals.
- For the prevention and/or detection of crime or fraud.
- For research and statistical purposes, where data will be anonymised.
Who will we share the data and information with?
The information you provide will be shared with relevant schools during and on completion of the allocation process. It may also be shared as follows:
- In the event that you submit an appeal against a school place refusal, your application form and any supporting information will be shared with Cornwall Council’s Education Appeals department.
- If you are making an application for school places outside Cornwall, we will need to share the information you provide with the relevant other local authority/authorities.
- In order to support the delivery of local and national health initiatives, e.g. health screening and child immunisation programmes, we may share school admissions information with the Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust. This will include the name, date of birth, address and school attended or due to attend of the child who is the subject of the application form. The sharing would be subject to an Information Sharing Agreement.
- Relevant information that you provide on your application form and any supporting information you provide may be used to deal with matters connected with your child’s education, for example school transport and school meals. It may also be used to update any other records which either the Council or schools hold in relation to your child.
How will we store and transfer the data and information?
Your application form and supporting information will be stored securely by the School Admissions Team both electronically and in hard copy. Any data shared outside the Council will be transferred in a secure, electronic format. Data and information will be retained for the duration of your child’s compulsory education.
How can you access your data?
The Council has a duty under the Data Protection Act 1998 to provide individuals with access to information about themselves on request. This does not include the details of any persons who have notified the Council of alleged fraud or the details of any allegations or investigations that may have been carried out. The information can be requested by submitting a Subject Access Request. Contact email@example.com or call 0300 1234 100 for more information. In the event that you no longer wish us to process the information for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice you may withdraw your consent at any time by giving us written notice. You should understand, however, that we may nevertheless need to continue processing some or all of your personal information in accordance with our statutory obligations.
By completing and submitting your application you give your consent that all of the data and information you provide may be used for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice.
If you have any concerns or questions regarding the processing of your data and information then please contact the School Admissions Team. You can also report concerns about how an organisation is handling your data to the Information Commissioner’s Office.